Skip to main content

Being a boy scout

 

Special thanks to USA Today
    A friend of mine online recently stated that the state of Texas was having a "Come to Jesus" moment.  Meaning that Texans would have some hard decisions to make in the coming weeks due to the winter storm.   Because a lot of the problems that were caused by this storm could have been avoid in the first place by simply listening to experts and making simple adjustments.

    My heart goes out to the millions of people who have been without power for anywhere between 24 to 36 hours plus at the time of this writing.   Not being used to that type of cold, they were simply not prepared for roads covered in ice or electric lines snapping.  They were not prepared for the fact that water lines can freeze and or burst in these types of conditions.  

    Not having to deal with these types of conditions on a day to day basis, they were simply unprepared.  

    This is not a political blog, we are not going to discuss what happened or are we going to discuss blame.  The reason why is simple, it's a complex problem that has to do with more than wind turbines, oil and natural gas, and an outdated and unregulated power system.   After this storm passes, and it will pass, heads will most likely roll...and Texas will have to begrudgingly move forward and join the 21st century and accept some things many may not want to hear.

    Now even though I stated that is a non political blog, there are some truths that may be hard to accept.  One of those truths is that global warming is real, and its one of those things that many in Texas will have to accept, that patterns of weather are being affected and that we have to be prepared for them in the future.  We have to be "boy scouts."   We have to "Be Prepared."

    Well I certainly hope that this storm is a once in a lifetime event, it's probably not going to be.  Texas went through a serious cold snap some 10 years ago, it was not as bad as this one but at the time it was seen as extreme. 

    I spent some 12 + years living in Florida, and you quickly learned to have a Hurricane Preparedness Kit. ready, and as luck would have it, never had to use.  With a little moderation I keep the same kit in my car, because God forbid if I should be stuck out somewhere on ice covered roads in the middle of nowhere in winter. 

    When I moved back to Western Pennsylvania, I understood the weather patterns and had a general idea of what to expect. So far this winter is not that bad, although locals tell me it's the worst winter they have had in some time.

     I grew up here, and our move was for family - both our parents are aging - and frankly to escape the fact that Florida was growing hotter every year due to global warming.   Having the money and ability to do so, we did.

    I hate the term "Prepper" because to me it indicates some nut job with 1001 guns, a basement full of canned and preserved goods (which we do have), maybe a bomb shelter and a fear of the government.   

    I don't have a fear of an economic collapse or that somehow FEMA will force me into camps.  I am pro gun control but have no issue with you owning one (one day I'll have to write about that).  

    What I do believe however is being a boy scout.  Being prepared for what may come next.  This is why I bought myself a generator.  This is where my interest in gardening comes from.

    My interest in gardening is really two fold.   Not only will growing my own fresh veggies be better for me mentally and physically, but I am also doing a very smart part in combating global warming.   The recent rise in an interest in homesteading is due in part to worries about food insecurity, exactly what goes into our food and global warming.   

    Frankly a lot of what we can do to prepare for the future is simple commonplace stuff.   Imagine if those is Texas had wrapped their pipes in insulation long before the cold snap; not only saving money from wasted heat loss in addition to being prepared when the cold snap hit.   Something as simple as 1/4 inch of newspaper wrapped around water lines can help save energy, and prevent them from freezing.

    I hate to say it, again this being a non political blog, but a lot of going green starts at the personal level.   It is our personal responsibility to be prepared for what comes down the pipe.  Frankly we simply can not relay on the government to provide relief that way it used to.  Politics and stupidity get in the way, as the recent Covid epidemic has shown us.


    Sometimes it takes something major like Covid to shake up things.   For example, the company that I work for is keeping us home till August, and there are rumors that we may go to a schedule where we work from home 2 or 3 days out of the week or may just work from home on a permanent basis.   Because the company saves money and would not have to rent out such a huge amount of space for parking and other concerns.   

    That in turn lowers the need for a commute, and helps fight climate change.  Being in the Insurance business, climate change will affect our bottom line.  Plus, frankly there are some tax breaks for the company as well.

    The point of all this rambling, and I am going to get slightly political here, is that we have to be smarter about how we do things.   Yes, for personal financial and health reasons - such as gardening - but also for community reasons.    We are all in this together, and what affects someone in far off Texas is going to affect you no matter where you are.  Because you know damn well that despite their independent streak, Texas will get federal funds to fix what is wrong with their grid.  

    Things are going to have to change in one form or another.   You can be part of that change now. or you can have that change forced upon you later.   That choice is yours.

    That being said, if you wish to help in some way I would highly recommend donating to the Red Cross.  Or the Salvation Army

 

     


      

     

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...