Skip to main content

Being a boy scout

 

Special thanks to USA Today
    A friend of mine online recently stated that the state of Texas was having a "Come to Jesus" moment.  Meaning that Texans would have some hard decisions to make in the coming weeks due to the winter storm.   Because a lot of the problems that were caused by this storm could have been avoid in the first place by simply listening to experts and making simple adjustments.

    My heart goes out to the millions of people who have been without power for anywhere between 24 to 36 hours plus at the time of this writing.   Not being used to that type of cold, they were simply not prepared for roads covered in ice or electric lines snapping.  They were not prepared for the fact that water lines can freeze and or burst in these types of conditions.  

    Not having to deal with these types of conditions on a day to day basis, they were simply unprepared.  

    This is not a political blog, we are not going to discuss what happened or are we going to discuss blame.  The reason why is simple, it's a complex problem that has to do with more than wind turbines, oil and natural gas, and an outdated and unregulated power system.   After this storm passes, and it will pass, heads will most likely roll...and Texas will have to begrudgingly move forward and join the 21st century and accept some things many may not want to hear.

    Now even though I stated that is a non political blog, there are some truths that may be hard to accept.  One of those truths is that global warming is real, and its one of those things that many in Texas will have to accept, that patterns of weather are being affected and that we have to be prepared for them in the future.  We have to be "boy scouts."   We have to "Be Prepared."

    Well I certainly hope that this storm is a once in a lifetime event, it's probably not going to be.  Texas went through a serious cold snap some 10 years ago, it was not as bad as this one but at the time it was seen as extreme. 

    I spent some 12 + years living in Florida, and you quickly learned to have a Hurricane Preparedness Kit. ready, and as luck would have it, never had to use.  With a little moderation I keep the same kit in my car, because God forbid if I should be stuck out somewhere on ice covered roads in the middle of nowhere in winter. 

    When I moved back to Western Pennsylvania, I understood the weather patterns and had a general idea of what to expect. So far this winter is not that bad, although locals tell me it's the worst winter they have had in some time.

     I grew up here, and our move was for family - both our parents are aging - and frankly to escape the fact that Florida was growing hotter every year due to global warming.   Having the money and ability to do so, we did.

    I hate the term "Prepper" because to me it indicates some nut job with 1001 guns, a basement full of canned and preserved goods (which we do have), maybe a bomb shelter and a fear of the government.   

    I don't have a fear of an economic collapse or that somehow FEMA will force me into camps.  I am pro gun control but have no issue with you owning one (one day I'll have to write about that).  

    What I do believe however is being a boy scout.  Being prepared for what may come next.  This is why I bought myself a generator.  This is where my interest in gardening comes from.

    My interest in gardening is really two fold.   Not only will growing my own fresh veggies be better for me mentally and physically, but I am also doing a very smart part in combating global warming.   The recent rise in an interest in homesteading is due in part to worries about food insecurity, exactly what goes into our food and global warming.   

    Frankly a lot of what we can do to prepare for the future is simple commonplace stuff.   Imagine if those is Texas had wrapped their pipes in insulation long before the cold snap; not only saving money from wasted heat loss in addition to being prepared when the cold snap hit.   Something as simple as 1/4 inch of newspaper wrapped around water lines can help save energy, and prevent them from freezing.

    I hate to say it, again this being a non political blog, but a lot of going green starts at the personal level.   It is our personal responsibility to be prepared for what comes down the pipe.  Frankly we simply can not relay on the government to provide relief that way it used to.  Politics and stupidity get in the way, as the recent Covid epidemic has shown us.


    Sometimes it takes something major like Covid to shake up things.   For example, the company that I work for is keeping us home till August, and there are rumors that we may go to a schedule where we work from home 2 or 3 days out of the week or may just work from home on a permanent basis.   Because the company saves money and would not have to rent out such a huge amount of space for parking and other concerns.   

    That in turn lowers the need for a commute, and helps fight climate change.  Being in the Insurance business, climate change will affect our bottom line.  Plus, frankly there are some tax breaks for the company as well.

    The point of all this rambling, and I am going to get slightly political here, is that we have to be smarter about how we do things.   Yes, for personal financial and health reasons - such as gardening - but also for community reasons.    We are all in this together, and what affects someone in far off Texas is going to affect you no matter where you are.  Because you know damn well that despite their independent streak, Texas will get federal funds to fix what is wrong with their grid.  

    Things are going to have to change in one form or another.   You can be part of that change now. or you can have that change forced upon you later.   That choice is yours.

    That being said, if you wish to help in some way I would highly recommend donating to the Red Cross.  Or the Salvation Army

 

     


      

     

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno