Skip to main content

So it finally happened....a rant about "bots".

 So I got banned from Facebook for 24 hours.


I violated community standards because of a post that was somehow taken out of context.   I don't know or really care about the technical stuff, but basically a "bot" that scans the world wide web looking for content that does not meet "community standards" tagged me.  I would be lying if I didn't say I was little bit upset about it; after all there is a lot worse things that are floating around on Facebook than "They are already here, kill them on sight."

A friend of ours had posted a picture of the spotted lanterfly, which is an invasive species. The department of agriculture here in Pennsylvania has requested that you kill them on sight.   He didn't think they were in this part of the state yet and this was his first siting of one..  

The problem that I have is that lots of news stories and articles have already been written about this problem.  Slate magazine even published a bit of a humorous story about the most satisfying ways to kill this little pest.  

So given the evidence, I should not be sitting in Facebook jail right now.  I get it though, all those little bots don't understand context, they just understand that certain words are bad.  If I had used smoosh, step on, exterminate or 1001 other words, I would have been fine.

The limits of technology are easy to understand.  A line of code is searching day and night over billions if not trillions of other lines of code for "hate speech" or "violent speech."  I just happened to get caught up in something that was taken completely out of context because of a single word.  If a human would have reviewed it, there simply would have been no ban.  No jail time.  No issue.

Yes, I do understand that I'm making a proverbial mountain out of a mole hill.   

I understand the need for this technology, I understand the needs for community standards and yes, I even understand that this tech will only improve with time and will, one day, understand context.  It's just not today.

What bothers me is that I've seen worse than this on Facebook and other social media sites.  I do tend to post a lot on political and news driven sites.  Yes, I am a proud "lefty" but I also have no issue calling out bullshit on my side too.  I consider myself to be "anti stupidity."  So, if your stupid, I'll call you out on it.

Sadly, I've seen and dealt with people and posts that are clearly hate filled or downright racist.  They have learned that it's all in how you word something; it's allowed them to escape the little Dalaks guarding the web.  I've even reported a few...only to see them still posting garbage.

OK, rant over.  I just need to vend and I thank you for letting me do so.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.  




Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...