Skip to main content

Barn Cats and animal welfare

    Generally speaking about Six PM every night it's my job to feed our cats.  Officially we have three.  Unofficially we have seven or eight.  

    Even though we don't have a barn...we have barn cats.  Our neighbor has horses and he encourages the barn cats because they do a great job of preventing mice and other rodents from getting into the feed.  

    When we moved into this home some two odd years ago, we were frankly asked if we wanted the previous owners two cats trapped.   "No," my Susan said, "they were there before us."   

    Since then we had one of the original two outdoor cats pass, while the other one is a semi permanent fixture on our back porch.  She sneaks in sometimes and once I woke up from a nap only to find her at my feet purring away contently.  Our youngest cat, Bobble (so named because his head was bigger than his body when he was a kitten), was meant to be leashed trained because of future plans of traveling the country in an RV, got off the leash.    Now he pretty much comes and goes when he wants; and will disappear into the woods surrounding our home for hours. 

    We started feeding two outdoor cats.  Now we feed four or five barn cats on a regular basis.  One of them had kittens recently (A slinky pure black lady I've named "Sidney").  Out of either pride or desperation she brought two of her kittens to us.   They were just born that day as the umbilical cords were still attached, unfortunately one passed while the other simply cried on our porch.   

      Sidney did little to fight us as we picked up her kitten.  We have her now, bundled in warm towels and are trying to nurse her back.   She's a little fighter however, eating some store bought kitten milk and with little kicks. 

    That's when we decided to get a live trap to try and capture a few of them, getting them spayed and nurtured - we discussed this already with our next door neighbor and he's on board with it; as long as we are paying for the medical care.

    The thing is...neither Sue or I want any more cats.  We are in our mid 50's, and the life of an average cat is roughly 15 years, 20 or 25 years on the far side.  As I mentioned to my wife, there was a good chance that I would die in the house or outdoors and the cats would eat me.  For the record, this is not a real fear of mine.

    It's important for me however that this small kitten survive, although we will NOT have another cat in our family.   Nor do I think Sue and I will ever be without a pet.

   While I may not agree with the old and horrible method of putting kittens into a sack and letting them drown, I certainly understand why the farmers of yore would resort to such barbarous methods.  It is possible to become overrun with cats.   

    That's why we have the live trap.  That's why we are paying to have them fixed.   That's why we support the local cat rescue as well as other animal welfare organizations.

    Living in the country the way we do, I have a new perceptive on animals that is much deeper and richer than I had before.  I know logically that the meat and cheese I eat comes from cows, that predators eat prey animals.  Knowing that and seeing it play out in real time however are two different things.   I've always advocated for animal welfare, but they are still animals. 

    Our domesticated animals have a such a rich history and connection with humans that the idea of being "outside" the natural world in same way seems to to be an almost foreign concept.   At one time the connection between man and nature was so that that the laws protecting them were more harsh than the laws to protect your average human.  In some cases animals were tried and even executed for some perceived crime.

    I also know, and this is where a group like PETA or some vegans go so wrong, is how we should treat animals ethically.  While I certainly agree we should, we can only go so far.  Shutting down zoos and circus's may be the only chance for someone to get "up close and personal" with an elephant or chimp or penguin.  

    In most cases it's the zoo's that are fighting for the conservation of these animals...and sometimes the last refuge of a species.  Frankly there is simply no wild left.  No place where man has stepped and no place where pollution can not reach.

    Like it or not, humans have created breeds that can not survive in the wild.  

    Humans and animals need each other.   Nor can man simply give up eating them.  CUT BACK on eating animals certainly.   Evidence shows it's better for the planet and your health.   

    So what does this have to do with barn cats?   Everything really.  Humans started to grow and store grain several thousands of years ago creating such wonderful things as bread and beer.  Small wild cats were attracted to these storage bins because that's were the mice were.  Slowly over time they learned to trust the hairless apes.   The relationship between cats and humans has only deepened over time.   

    In wanting this young little kitten to survive...I can't help but feel like I'm a bit of that unbroken chain.  

    Sadly...this wasn't going to be.  After a few days this little kitten died.  We never did name it. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...