Skip to main content

I'm Horticulturally Curious...or Growth in New Directions

     To be honest I'm not sure how many containers we have growing with various fruits and vegetables growing in them.  I never really did a count, all I know is that my strawberry bushes have little red strawberries on them, that my zucchini is blooming and my tomato plants will soon need to be surround by cages.  

    I'm hesitant to say that my first garden is successful, but I feel pretty confident that we will soon have green peppers and sprouts on our plates.    I have fresh thyme, basil and parsley just outside our back door; along with cucumbers that are ready to vine up a vertically standing pallet.  

    Technically this is not my first garden, as my ex-wife Teri and myself planted a more "traditional" tilled garden years ago and produced much the same foodstuffs as I'm growing in containers,  Growing in a container however is a bit easier to manage and certainly makes weeding easier.  

    Even the dogwood trees I planted seem to be doing well.  

    That being said, mistakes were made.  Even if I lose some plants, I should be overtaken by zucchini and Brussels sprouts, as I bought way to many of those plants.  My thinking was that I would kill at least half of them...but it appears all of them will survive.   The same thing with the cucumbers, buying several was not needed as one or two would do.  They were in packs of 4 for a reason, I realize now.  That reason was to get rid of them. 

    So I will be overwhelmed in green goodness.

   


Still though, I feel a great sense of pride in this little garden of mine and I have no doubt that it will expand somewhat next year and Susan and I are already discussing adding blueberries and possibly grapes, seven species of which are native to the area, to the mix.   

    My mind is preoccupied with growth as I consider switching this blog over to another platform.  If I am serious about blogging, then it might be time to leave Google's blogspot.  I've used it for years, and have written two different blogs in addition to this one using blogspot.  However times change and this platform no longer performs as well as it could.

    Changing around this blog could make me some additional income, but it can also cost me and I'm not sure if I really want to try and make money from this blog.  Then it becomes work.  Right now I'm enjoying writing this just for the sake of writing.  I do this for enjoyment and love, not for money.

    Still though, a little extra income for something I would do anyway never hurt.  A little extra "seed" money if you pardon the bad pun.  Besides the whole idea of this blog was to plant a seed and let that seed germinate in someone's mind.   A bigger audience only makes that harvest that much larger.   

    I'm done now, I promise.

    Which brings me to the other big change in my life, my job.   I'm good at what I do, and have been working in insurance since 2014 although I've been working in banking and finance (with a few breaks) all of my life.

     I didn't really want to go into insurance, I've done every type of job imaginable in call centers going back to my early college days.   However I need a job and not only would this company pay for my license, but train me as well.   I became an independent agent for a bit, then found my way into my current position with New York Life and am in my fourth year with the company.

    I'm considering taking a job with the same company in Pittsburgh; which is about 70 minutes from where I live.  It's a straight highway commute.   I'm also being interviewed for a position where I can continue to work from home, but it would be pretty much the same job as the one in Pittsburgh.    Only I would still be working on the phones.  Both positions would increase my income nicely.

    I miss people.  I miss the hustle and bustle of the city.  The sounds and the sights of it.   For example, it's the Annual Arts Festival and when I worked downtown it was nice to wonder the streets taking in the music and arts after work.   Sometimes Teri, my wife at the time, would come down on the bus and we would have dinner in town, only to lay under the stars on a blanket as a concert played in the park.   

    Those are things that you simply miss out living the country.   Sure there are events...but they are not the size or the variety of an event in the city.  

    We always have to grow.  We always have to evolve and change and discover.   It's in our nature. Still though, part of me feels that I am making a small difference in the world at large by not commuting that much, by learning to grow my own food, by  1001 little things.  In a way.   It would be a small step backward if I take the job in Pittsburgh.

    I am just grateful I'm in the position to make these sort of changes.

    

    

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno