Skip to main content

The Home Improvement Blues

     When I sit down to write something, I do so for two reasons; the first is that yes, I want to remember my thoughts and feeling about a particular moment in time, so in some ways this blog serves as my journal.  The second reason is that I hope to impart some knowledge or information on.  In the hope that you, gentle reader, might learn something new or, more likely, avoid the mistakes I make.   

    I leave that decision up to you.  

    Thus, in some ways you can blame our youngest cat, Bobble, for our upcoming spending a lot of money on window's and other home improvements.  

    Our first winter in Western Pennsylvania was not really that bad.  This year it seemed we had weeks of sub zero temperatures and several feet of snow.  Our house was physically colder.   Now if your wondering why I'm blaming the cat then please read on dear reader. 

    Bobble was born in the early spring of last year, so he's still a kitten come winter.  A kitten with very sharp claws and a tendency to run around and jump on everything using his small but very deadly sharp claws.   The plastic sheeting that we placed around the old windows to help insulate them the winter before, simply wasn't going to survive a rambunctious kitten with a tendency to go crazy and jump into windows.   

A young very cute terror
 

    We decided it was time to replace the original windows in the house with something a bit more energy efficient and increase the value of our home if we intend to sell it somewhere down the line.

    The cost to add 3 block windows to the basement and 13 double pane windows to the rest of the house through a general contractor we have worked with in the past added up to just under 10 grand.  He's going to be some other smaller work for us as well.  Generally speaking you recap 85% of that on the sale of your home.

    By using a general contractor instead of a window contractor, we are saving roughly 10 grand on the insulation itself.  We found a well respected general contractor at the beginning of our home improvement journey and have continued to use him, this in turn leads to lower costs overall. 

   Almost everything in this house was original and while it may have been fine in the 1970's, it's not meeting today's codes or sensibility.  The kitchen and bath, which at one time was covered with an ugly blue shag carpet, need updating badly.   The rooms need painted, especially my office; which was once the third bedroom,  is painted in light pink and while I have to admit it's grown on me over time it's not exactly "clean" looking and certainly not our style.    

    We have budgeted $25,000 to get everything done, so the biggest issue is do we wish to update the kitchen first?  Or the main bathroom?   Or paint?    The kitchen we are relativity happy with, we are going to move some things around, remove the island and add 2 cabinets.   In moving things around we actually gain three feet of counter space as well as additional storage space.  We will update the appliances, paint and add a backsplash, remove the God Awful pendent light and tile the floor, but that's it.  Total cost estimate?  Five to Eight Thousand.

The Original Kitchen

    The bathroom make over is going to be the pricey project.    Because we are talking tile for both the shower walls and floors, replacing the tub with a walk in shower, grab bars in the shower, replacing the lighting, replacing the single sink with two vessel sinks and replacing the toilet with a dual flush option to save water.  We plan on buying WaterSense and Energy Star labeled products for both the kitchen and bath, which not only save power and water but are tax deductible; in addition to being something that consumers want.

    This cost is probably going to be much more than the cash we have we hand, but for reasons I won't go into here, this is the project that I would like to get done sooner rather than later.  Although it is probably going to be off for now.

The original bathroom.  :(
     

    With interest rates set to raise and a probable bust to the housing market coming (lowering the values of homes) then it makes some sense to update and improve now, not only to lock in a lower rate but to hedge against any losses in home value.

    If we spend all of our admittedly small budget, we will probably increase the value of our home by at least $30,000 dollars.   Our home is estimated in the low 200's now, and even if the price drops due to an expected "adjustment" it's likely to still be worth more than what we owe.   

    Always be smart with your money.    To read a bit more about home improvement and how to pay for it, I've written this article here.  

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno