Skip to main content

Western PA is giving me anxiety.

        Pennsylvania never changes; and this has given me anxiety.  I have a variety of wild flower and grass seed that I want to plant along the front of the porch.   I've containers ready for the few tomato's, peppers, zucchini herbs and strawberries that I am planning on growing.  

    I have two dogwood trees and a few flowers that I planted this past weekend.   I've never planted a tree in my life.   They are in the ground now and all I could think was "Well, it's in God's hands now."



    Part of this stress and the anxiety that I feel is because of a typical Pennsylvania spring can consist of highs of 80 only to be followed by snow on the ground, often in the same day.   So if I plant to early, I risk killing the very things that I want to grow.   If I plant to late, then I worry that I won't have much of a harvest at all.   

    Where I live is pretty much the center of hardiness zone 5B.  According to sources that means that the first frost free date is May 30th!    This weekend was lovely, we are expecting snow Wednesday.  

    This state gives me anxiety.

   I didn't plant a garden last year, largely because my wife and I could not agree on what we wanted or how and then before we knew it, it was fall.   This year we agreed to keep things small and simple, planting only a few things and keeping them in containers.

    After letting a part of my yard go wild last year, and after learning a little bit about foraging and foodscaping I've decided that for us, it's better to think in the long term.  Not only would it be better for the environment but for our health as well.   That's one of the reasons I purchased two Kousa Dogwood's from Tree Pittsburgh, because they produce flowers and edible fruit although that might take 5 - 7 years.

    We don't plant trees for ourselves right? 

     I've got a lot of work to do, and I want not only the trees to be successful, but the native wildflowers and small garden.   If we are successful, Sue and I are talking about adding blueberries, grapes and additional strawberries in the next year.  Maybe even some fruit trees, again not so much for us as for the future.  


       Overall I consider this a pretty successful day, although we will have to wait and see if the tree's take and if I find time over the next few days to do some other gardening.

    I actually like yard work, in that it shuts down the brain for a bit but this worrying about when I should plant is new to me.  Yes, you can refer to guides and what not and God only knows how many guides are out there...at the end of day you have to trust yourself, and I'm to new for all this.

    The good news is that even in failure, you learn something.  

   

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...