Skip to main content

Ramblings on container gardening.

   

     Recently I went out to eat with friends and I order a vegetarian option.   After getting playfully teased about eating rabbit food, the conversation turned to eating healthy, and the expenses of trying to maintain a healthy diet.

    We also talked about gardening, canning, and the fact that they felt things were going to get much, much worse with the American economy.

    While I am far from being a survivalist, I can honestly say that one of the reasons I want to learn to garden, to forage and store my own food is because I don't like where we as a country and as a planet are going.   No, this isn't a political blog, my concerns are more food availability and environmentally based then they are political.  

    If the pandemic showed us anything, it's that the supply chain can be interrupted and supplies can become diminished rather quickly.   Plus when costs raise, a common reaction is to save money where and how you can.   In this case, I'm in the perfect place to do that through gardening, canning and other means.  

    A little self sufficiency never hurts.  

    Generally speaking the average garden will run roughly $70 to start for things like seeds, fertilizer, tools, fencing, etc and bring a return of roughly $600 in food production.   No wonder roughly one out of every four people in the US grows some sort of food at home.   I never realized that many people gardened.  

May be an image of flower and nature
We considered releasing the cat on them

 

    It will probably run us a little more because I know that we will need some deer fencing. We have had as many as a dozen within 25 feet of the back porch, and they have eaten from my bird feeders. 

    Sue and myself plan on keeping it simple.   We want to plant tomato's, onions, potato's, zucchini, some herbs and maybe salad greens.    Since there is only the two of us planting anything more than one or two plants is getting to ambitious (so no Lovage this year)!  One tomato plant for example can yield up to 20 pounds in tomato's.  More than enough for two people.

    Last year the season got away from us as a variety of issues kept us from starting a garden.  This year, we are getting it done come hell or high water.   Our garden will be mostly containers, and with the exception of two dogwoods and some native flowers, that is all I'm planting this year.  We have done small gardens in the past, this should be easy right?

Something like this be perfect

     Again doing some research it appears that the average small garden for two people only requires about five hours of work per week.   Something that we can certainly squeeze into our busy lives.  I think that was the problem last year, poor planning and wanting to do to much....and before you knew it the growing season was over.

    I still don't feel prepared for the coming year.  It's nearly April as I write this and I don't have seeds.  I have no compost or mulch.  Despite knowing that I should have started this long before this.

    I have to ask for help.  I can't relay on myself and the internet all the time.    I need to get off my ass.

    It's not that I can't do better, I've surprised myself in the fact that I've already eating a bit healthier and have lost weight.   I did this by sticking to a plan, and having a passion for experimentation.   Maybe I have to look at planting a garden as less work or something that I have to do...and more of an experiment?

    Is that the secret of success for me?

    In some long term nebulous future I would love to have native edible plants growing throughout the yard and  a small contained garden.  Something that will provide food for people long after I'm gone.  A legacy.

    That's the way to look at it.  

     

  


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...