Skip to main content

Failure is ALWAYS an option - or the return of the underwear gnomes

     When we first moved out to the country, we had a vague notion of what we wanted to do.  We failed in our first year to meet any of those nebulous goals.  

    Sue, my wife and I have adjusted. 

    I've always had a passing interest in things like permaculture, we had always grown a few tomato's and other plants on our lanai when we lived in Florida.   It was, and still is to a certain extent, my hope that I have a full garden and become a bit more self sufficient.

    After a year however, my plans have changed somewhat and become more focused.  We know what our limitations are.   Our original plans simply did not meet the reality of our situation.  It just being Sue and myself for example, a large garden doesn't make sense.  A container garden does.

    This isn't failure, but the realization that we are always adjusting and regrouping based upon several factors.  Our plans have gained focus as the situation warrants. 

     However I do consider this blog to be something of a failure.  It's been a year now and I'm not getting the response or feedback that I thought I would.   That is clearly my fault.  I could spend time learning about SEO's, sharpen the focus, research and find my particular audience...but then it becomes a job.   The joy I get from throwing my scattered thoughts and opinions to the winds of the internet would be lost.  

    Believe it or not, I've actually been paid for my writing in the past an it became a grind.   I would rather write for enjoyment.   This blog may be a "failure" in terms of audience, but it's something I enjoy doing and costs me nothing but a few hours of time.

    When I read blogs and social media posts about farming, homesteading and everything in between one theme keeps popping up and grabbing my attention.   Failure.  It could be a crop, or a livestock problem or even financial.  Homesteads fail.  Small farms fail.   Sometimes is a serious blow, other times a minor set back.

   

    Even watching a TV show like Clarkson's Farm or Homestead Rescue is all about that theme of failure.  Tension and drama is why we watch them!

    There is a vague general definition of what homesteading is but is going to vary from household to household in approach and philosophy.  That philosophy is really important because their is no way to tell how many homesteads fail or succeed in a year.  However one point remains clear.   If you serious about being a homesteader then the work never stops...and you have to be serious about it.

    The Number One reason homesteads fail is lack of planning.  I know that during my first year here i Western PA we had a lot of things that we wanted to accomplish, but without a clear plan on how to do that...we failed to meet those goals.   I've referred to this as the Underwear Gnome syndrome in earlier posts.

    Having a death in our family and health issues in the preceding year did not help matters any.  We still have plans but are trying to keep them focused and maintained instead of jumping all over the place like we were in our first year.       

    We actually have a roughly sketched out calendar showing what we need to do, when we need to do it and an educated case of the costs.  It's a rough sketch because we know we can't control the weather for example.  Our goals are simply to cut costs and live simpler.

    The Second Reason is that people really don't understand how expensive living in the country/rural areas really are.  At this moment that price of gas is averaging $4.37 a gallon.  When you are 20 or 30 miles away from the closest supermarket, running out for a gallon of milk adds up quickly. 

    So far in the past year I've had to buy a snowblower, a generator, a power washer and other small tools and equipment; simply because I had to be either prepared for the worst or I know that I would use and reuse that equipment.  The cost of buying it was cheaper than renting it but it is still an expense.  I can't imagine what those costs would have been if I was required to buy an actual tractor or farm equipment.


    Those expenses add up and if someone doesn't have a full time job or is unable to turn an immediate profit from their homestead, it's a scary situation.  Having a good sized nest egg simply is a requirement for someone embarking on a homestead journey.  

    Which leads us to the Third Reason why things fail.  People don't take it seriously as a business and/or they pursue low end market streams.   A low end market generally caters to those that are unable or unwilling to pay larger amounts of money for a product.  This is fine for a company like Wal-Mart but not so much for a homestead.  

    That's not to say that low end market streams are a bad thing, but it can be a volatile market.   If your selling X at Y price and know it only costs you $2 to produce...then your competition may sell X at Z price with the same costs involved.    They may be willing and able to make a smaller profit in order to enter the market...and to compete you either have to accept a smaller market share or cut your prices and both those things lead to less profit.   

    You have to know your market and target your audience.  

    People get into homesteading or small farming for a variety of reasons.  For some it's to escape the rat race, for others it's for environmental or personal reasons.   However to be successful that means asking yourself some hard questions and frankly you can't treat it as a hobby.

    Here's a video that should give you some good ideas although it doesn't apply directly to homesteading.


 

     A)  If that animal isn't producing or is sick/injured....how much money are you to spend before you end that animal's life?    Bessie may be part of the family...but it's an income source, not a pet.  You have to understand that and accept it. 

    B)  Do you know your market?   If your planting Kholrabi and it's not selling you have a choice to make.   Either try to create a market - selling it to vegan restaurants for example, which can take time and be an uphill battle.   Or switch to something you know will sell, like carrots.

    You can still grow Kholrabi but keep it small and sell it at your farmer's market well trying to develop and grow that particular market.  Sometimes a business fails because the passion for something overcomes the sensibility of doing something else!

    C)  How much time and energy are you willing to put into something?   So your selling carrots and making a profit.  However you still believe in Kholrabi.  How much time and energy do you want to spend pursuing this crop?   If you are selling 100 bushels to the Onion Maiden restaurant, can you maintain that order?  Can you grow that order?   If so, how much time and energy will that take?

    Frankly if it takes to much time and energy from the cash crops, it's not worth it.  Let it go.

    D)  Think with your head, not with your heart.  Don't let passion interfere with your business and never ever stop learning.

    Think of it this way...having multiple streams of income is a good thing.  One of the reasons you see homesteads doing blogs and You Tube video's is because it can be a income producing stream of business, but at the same time if your spending 10 hours editing a 7 to 8 minute video; then you have to ask yourself "Am I making a profit from You Tube and is it enough to take time away from other projects that I know are income producing?" 

    You can disagree with Joe down the street, but Joe's been doing this for 50 years.   He probably has some wisdom to impart to you.   Ignore his ramblings about what ever you disagree with and concentrate on the lessons they impart to you.   

    I'm going to give a personal example about how you can't let emotions interfere with business.  Back in 2008 I suffered a blow when I lost my high paying banking job.  I planned on retiring from that company.  Out of desperation, I ended up taking a job delivering papers because I had no choice.   I hated it.

    Thankfully, even though I hated the paper delivery part of it, because I listened and asked questions that lead to other income streams.   It's a lot easier to love something when you realize your making money at it and putting in minimal effort.  

 
 
    I was able to expand into other deliveries (magazines and tobacco) and soon realized that I lived in an area where I could shuttle people around to the store or doctor.   That I could deliver X, Y and Z to the same store and at the same time (and double or triple my income in doing so).    I read marketing and business books the entire time to expand my business.   I talked to people, I learned from mistakes and success.   I learned those lessons and applied them to other jobs and circumstances as we grew our small business.       

    It was always a secondary income stream for Sue and myself, and after 13 years of owning a successful business, we "retired" from it last year due to the move to Western Pa.  Those lessons we learned however we can apply anywhere.  We still get calls from companies in Florida asking if can do something for them on occasion. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno