Skip to main content

Random thoughts and pieces - Spring is getting near.

    Over the past few days the temperature has been on a roller coaster ride as we hit peak highs and small dips that remind us that this is Western Pennsylvania and winter may not be over till April.  However the days are getting warmer and spring - once a faraway dream - seems to be sneaking in.   

    I was even able to open the windows a few days ago and the last of the snow; dating back to mid December, has finally melted away.   

    The other night I watch as a family of deer grazed outside my front window nibbling on the first green sprigs of grass, our youngest cat looking on in fascination.  Spring is coming.  The days are getting longer and I think about planting some flowers and seedlings obtained through the Mercer Country Conservation website.

    I'm thinking that the native wild flowers and grasses will make a nice addition to the home.  

    I plan on letting part of the yard go wild again this year, letting it be overrun with native plants, I'm even considering taking up food foraging.  I've always been interested in taste, flavor and texture and as I learn more about food, the more curious I am about how nettles taste or how to cook a fiddlehead fern.  We have fiddleheads growing in our yard as it is, why not take advantage of them?

    Plus I like the idea of having a new skill, and one of my favorite memories from college was a field botany class where the professor would often cook up what she had found out in nature for our labs.  Plus there is an economic component to this as well.  I am not becoming a miser by any means but with rising costs and other environmental concerns, learning to forage only makes sense.  

    How many of us as kids enjoyed the wonderful taste of wild blueberries or strawberries?   How many of us have enjoyed the taste of dandelions in a salad  or a spring of wild onion?  The odd taste of a wild apple pulled from some old ancient tree?  Just thinking about it brings me back to my youth. 


    So I sit here, wondering where I can learn to forage like a pro.  Where I can find some proper containers for a garden and will I actually do these things?   I am lazy and sometimes - most times, if I am being honest - my plans come to naught because of my laziness.

    After 55 years I have become conditioned to certain ways of doing things...and life will simply not allow for those ways anymore.   I know deep down that we can't stop climate change, but I have to do my part...to quote the poet "It's not dark yet, but it's getting there."  That's one of the reasons my diet is changing and yea, that's one of the reasons I want to have a garden too.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...