Skip to main content

Small Town Christmas

 So we stood there, my wife and I, looking at a train display in the window of a small bank, my eyes as wide as saucers as I watched the toy train chug around the track.  One of the cars had a moveable searchlight on it, and that brought back warm memories.

                My wife said something to me but I had already traveled back in time to when I was 8 years old and my brother and I were playing with a train set that took up the entirety of my grandmother’s dining room.   One of the rail cars on her train set had a search light on it too, another car had a missile that you could shoot up and into the tree; which was exactly what my brother and I were doing; trying to knock ornaments down.  

Sort of looks like me.  Even has a beer.

                Even today I swear that every Christmas packages were as high as the roof as chorales sang of old kings and new and it always snowed on Christmas day.  Memories of my father dressed up as Santa year in and year out as generation after generation sat on his leg.

                My mother asked my brother and I why we did not wish to take over for him…it was, for me at least, my father’s job.  No other person, not even his sons, would ever replace him as Santa. 

                I thought about all this as my wife and I shopped the small Mom and Pop stores near us.  We were really not looking for anything specific; we were just out enjoying the day and the sights of a small town Christmas.

              
    A little girl who probably didn’t realize how much she looked liked Cindy Lou Who was getting her picture taken in front of a Grinch display while off in the distance a high school band was playing “Silent Night.”

      Living in the middle of farmland the way we do it wasn’t uncommon to pass a decorated tractor or other piece of farm equipment.  Recently the nearby Stoneboro Fairgrounds had an event that was exactly that!  

     For the first time since my mother died last October, I felt that I had the Christmas spirit.   It’s not a bad feeling.

      I’m not a religious person; knowing all the pagan myths behind the holidays.  However far be it from me to deny anyone’s need to believe in something.  I think this desire to believe in something greater than ourselves is actually one of the defining traits of humanity. 

      After all, isn’t Christmas about family and community?    

      In some ways the “Christmas Spirit” is strong this year.  Last year everything was smaller, more confined and subdued.  It seemed like we did everything twice or three times last year as we wanted family to see our new home, but also had to make sure that everyone felt safe and secure in the visit. 

      So it feels good to mingle with strangers as we shop the small shops and share a cup of cocoa with a young Amish family.  

A Candy Display at a shop.

      Each of the small towns near us are holding similar events, but on different days which allows families to partake in as many as possible.   This time of year really is for the kids.

    It also helps that I've been involved with the local Odd Fellows, who are doing a variety of charity events going into the new year.  So maybe, just maybe this old City Mouse is enjoying the holiday season in the country.   Just maybe his heart will grow three times its normal size too.  You just never know. 

    Be sure to check out and like our Facebook page too.  Bring a little joy into as many lives as possible. 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...