Skip to main content

This entry has no title.

 

   September has always been a harbinger of change for me.   From season to season, from vacation to school, from bachelorhood into married life.  Now I find myself three weeks at least from my last entry and thinking about change once one.  I've tried to start this blog four, five or seventeen times now because this is a hard post for me to write

    Because I got a lot on my mind...and I'm not sure who my audience is.  Any one that writes needs an audience.  Are they people interested in country and rural life?  It's not really a homestead blog, nor is a food and recipe blog even though I've covered all that in the past.  Although I've played around with the idea of making it a "learn to cook" blog.

    If only I had people that would not mind eating my "weird" creations.  It's one of  the reasons I concentrate on cheese.  Most people like cheese.

    So a cooking blog is out.

    Or is it about my health journey?  I got some blood work back and it appears that my move to a plant based diet and some other small changes have helped me not only lose about 15 pounds but kept my A1C at 5.8.  I am still a borderline Diabetic but my blood sugar is under control.  My last A1C test was closer to the diabetic range.  My Doc sees no reason for me to add any additional medications, so I am thankful for that.

    Nor do I want to make it all about me and try to keep it non - political.   Although my very nature makes that hard.   If I want to write about things like global warming or homesteading or self sufficiency, I am wading into political waters.  

    For example, we try to keep at least 1 day of the week, meatless.   This started as a way to maintain my blood pressure and cholesterol, although having grown up in a family where heart disease is an issue on both sides, I'm always been aware of some benefits of diet...I just never recognized the environmental benefits.  


    Of course now I'm getting political.  I'm not giving up meat or poultry by any means, however we have to accept that the old ways of doing things simply are not working anymore.  Global warming in particular is a major concern because we Americans are simply not prepared for what lies ahead.  To put it mildly, if we don't get serious about it then frankly it's only going to get worse...and we live in a country where roughly 1/3 of our population are morons.  I'll let you decided which side is which. 

    In the past month I've been concerned about the future of my job, plans for the home, family matters and about 1,001 things that have made me not only lose sleep at night but are simply out of my control.  

    I don't particularly like my job.   I like the company, I love the benefits and frankly I will never see these types of benefits again.  However if I wish to move up in my company, that means committing to going to Cleveland at least two or three times a week.  That is roughly a 115 mile trip one way.

    As of today, we probably will not be going back into the office until the spring...but that means having to find a motel room or place to stay at least two nights out of the week.   That means more mileage on the car and a higher carbon footprint.  That means more expense that I can not afford.

    Of course, I should be looking for something different.  I've applied here and there, but am not serious about finding another job...but I should do something.  Things are subject to change, but I'm better off changing jobs now rather than waiting.   Of course, the longer we are out of the office, the less likely our return to it.

    We have also talked about putting in a garden in the coming spring.  It's going to be just herbs and a few container plants.   Nothing to fancy, much like what we did in Florida in our screened in porch.   Anything else would simply be overkill.  


    I'm not trying to save the world here.   Only make mine a little better.   Then again if I do find another job that means at least an hour commute to Pittsburgh every day.   Or Erie, or one of the smaller cities around me.    Less of a commute, but I would probably not make the pay that I make now...and I do get paid well now.

     However my piece of mind and work life balance are more important to me right now.    Even writing in this blog is important to me...even if no one really bothers to read it.

    So gentle reader...what can you suggest?   What should this blog be about?  Who is my audience?   Let me know in the comments below or on the companion Facebook page.

    What should I do?

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...