Skip to main content

It's okay to fail - what a failed cheese ball taught me about myself.

     My girlfriend and I are trying to lose weight and she is succeeding at it at a much faster pace than I am.   That's okay, our health is NOT a competition.   We are both trying to cut down on sugars.  We are both trying to watch our portions of what we eat.

    That's all good.   Were we differ, and it has lead to some conflict, is that I am trying; slowly but surely to move away from a strictly meat diet.   I've been trying to incorporate some more plant based dishes into my life.  I've been attempting to not eat any meat or dairy products at least one day a week, although I am not always successful at this task..   I do have some healthy substitutes in the fridge such as tofu and jackfruit even though I've no clue what to do with them. 

    I am even thinking how I could use paneer is a substitute for meat like it is in a lot of Indian dishes..  Plus it's a cheese I've not made in a bit. 

    Where the conflict starts is that even though she has a background in cooking - she is a graduate of the now defunct Pittsburgh Le Cordon Bleu Institute of Culinary Arts - her experience was largely dependent on where she has worked.  Family owned small town restaurants.   Or to quote her, "she knows what she knows."  Hence a lot of "meat and potato" dishes.

    In order for me to change some things up that means I have to cook more.   Now keep in mind that I have previously been banned fro the kitchen for life by at least three different girlfriends and one ex-wife; where my brother went to the famed CIA to learn how to cook.   He learned how to cook, I found women that loved to cook.  I joke that it is part of our survival instinct.   

    Up until now I found that perfectly acceptable.  My interest in cooking really only starting in earnest during the pandemic.   Susan's job as an independent delivery driver meant that she was gone most days when I was on lunch or dinner.   Suddenly I had to cook and you can only make so many boxed meals or leftovers before you want to get creative.  Then it was just a matter of time before my natural curiosity kicked in.  

    Leaning to make some vegan "cheese" is the natural end result of my wants and desires.   I have made a few other vegan cheeses and the the results have been tasty. When I came across the recipe for a beer infused cheese ball, I knew I had to try it.  

    I also know that that when it comes to vegan cheeses you have to follow the instructions - and to be honest I didn't think these instructions were that clear to begin with.  What exactly is a "splash" of liquid?  

    Because I wanted the rich porter favor to come through - think warming caramel with rich, dark undertones -I let the cashews soak for about 5 hours.   Then as I blended the various ingredients together, I was not happy with the consistency of the cheese. 

    It is kind of hard to explain but it just didn't look right to me.  I was expecting more of a creamy texture in the back of my mind and what I had was simply not "creamy."    This is where the "splash" of beer comes in.   I now know that a "splash" is less then 0.5 oz or about 1/2 a teaspoon.    I would have liked them to have said a 1/2 a teaspoon.   It would have saved me some grief

    Because what I ended up with was more...wet.  It was the consistency  of a newborn's diaper to be completely honest.  


    Nor did it allow me to roll it into some sort of ball shape, even after adding nuts and dried fruit to it.

 



    I had to much liquid in it.  I ended up using it as a spread for toast and bagels and it is a rather tasty little treat.   Their was enough to make a second "ball" and I'll have to either drain over a sink for 24 hours or so wrapped in cheesecloth or dry it in an oven somehow.   

    You learn from failures.  If this would have been a dairy cheese, I've no doubt that I would have wrapped it in cheesecloth and let it hang to drain.   This being a vegan cheese, it never occurred to me that I could do that.  

    Lately I've been worried about things that are beyond my control and letting my work life balance get out of kilter.   This reminded me that you can always make adjustments to bring things back into your control...and that one of the reasons that I do enjoy cooking is having some control, and that I do have to pay attention to the world around me...heat something up to fast or for to long and you ruin the dish. 

    Cheese making also forces you to learn patience, as it can take days in some cases to make the cheese...then weeks, months and even years to age it properly.   Sometimes the cheese even out lives those who make it.      

    Cooking as a metaphor for life seems like a cliche...and it is.   However it is also a truth.  I'm not going to give up trying to eat healthy or give up on making cheese - vegan or dairy - because of this failure.   I'll learn from it, and get stronger.  


    

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno