Skip to main content

Is it time to go all in? At a cross roads

    In the last post I asked if I hated living in the country. I answered with a pretty subjective "No."  There are parts of it I am not fan of.  One of the reasons I agreed to move to the country is that I was hoping to make a change in my lifestyle.

    I've never been afraid of hard work, I used to work 60 hour weeks right out of college when I worked for an engineering firm.  I've owned my own company in one form or another sine 2008, which has supplemented my main income and padded both my retirement savings and paid for vacations.  I have discovered however that hard work in the country is not the same of the hard work of a city mouse.

  However, I'm tired and burned out.   I find myself wanting to retire more and more and enjoy my time here and now.  Full retirement for me is still twelve years away and age 70 would probably make more sense.     Given another year, both cars will be paid off in full as well as a personal loan.   Within two years, our credit cards will be paid in full.  At the risk of sounding like an asshole, we did it right.

    In other words, other than the house payment, we are pretty much debt free.  The thing that scares me however is a possible change in my job which could easily throw my plans all our of whack.  When I left Tampa for Pennsylvania the division I worked for told me they would allow me to work from home on a permanent basis.        However I got promoted and moved into a different division of the company last year.  Now I have to go to Cleveland at least two or three days a week starting sometime in October or November.   

    These plans are tenuous at best as Covid is wrecking havoc in the states of Texas, Florida and Ohio.  Which just happens to be the states were our centers are located.   New York Life if headquartered in New York City.  There is a possibility that we could spend another year working from home.   Which makes the argument that we should go back to the office harder to make.

    If my company does make me go back into the office two or more consecutive days, then that throws a monkey wrench into my financial plans because now we are spending more money on gas and even possibility hotel rooms. 

    
A possible double garage
    I moved to the country to avoid city life, to simplify things, to plant my own food.  While I had no intentions of becoming a homesteader, parts of that lifestyle - being more self sufficient, do appeal  to me.  

    Frankly the only way for me to learn how to plant and garden, the only way for me to fish and prep my own fish, or even go hunting is to just go and do it.   Until I do, I'm just skirting the edges of things.

    Going "all in" to me means that I either figure out how to be a self sufficient homesteader come high or hell water, and find another job that is "local.".    Or finally stay where I'm at.   

    That is why I am having sleepless nights now. 

    We did not get as much done last year as I would have liked - such as planting a garden -and I know that for us to make the last few improvements to this house (remodel the bathrooms, the kitchen and add a "shed style" garage) will take about 25 to 30K.   We will be doing some of the work ourselves and have some of the materials already.

    We are also talking about adding solar power and Susan would like gas in the kitchen, however those things are not priced yet and not included in the final cost estimate.  Although I would not be surprised if that cost another 10K.  A remodel is a good investment however.

    All of this of course takes time and that is something I would not have running back and forth to work in an office roughly two hours away two or three days out of every week.  We are two...maybe three years from being in a financial state to complete everything at once, but that depends on some things. 

    It sounds like I'm being a whiny little jerk, and there are other reasons that I wish to stay home. However those reasons are kept private for a variety of reasons.    Personally I don't care if you know my situation or not, other family members do.   As such I can't discuss some of the other reasons we wish to stay home more.

     So frankly I can't leave my job anytime soon...and even if I did, I will never get the benefits I have currently.    However if I'm being completely honest with myself, I am burned out and tired of it.

    I don't care for this life of ours to be so much up in the air...and that's the biggest issue that I have right now.    Not knowing what the future holds.   My job is determining what that is...and right now I don't know what my job is going to bring.

 


**UPDATE**    I decided that I needed to have something "local" which to me means anything within 45 - 60 minute drive time.  I have some leads and some options so now it's just a matter of making the right choices.    I'll never get the benefits I have now again, I know that.    However I don't believe I'll have any work - life balance staying where I am at.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno