Skip to main content

Adventures with Juustokiapa

    So what do you do when you find yourself alone on Mother's day?   It was a truly miserable day of low temperatures, howling wind and at one point, about an inch of snow on my front yard.   

    Well if your me...you make cheese.   Not one, but two different types of cheese.  Both of which you have never made before and wanted to experiment with. I'm actually happy to call both a success, although the quick mozzarella I made missed the mark in my opinion.   

    That's the fun thing however, and so far I've been pretty successful in my cheese making endeavors.  I was not going to do a post about cheese making however, generally speaking they are only popular with 3 - 5 people and I don't really have a lot of great photo's to share this time.  However I decided to because one of them is a bit unusual, a lot of fun and simple to make.   Although it is time consuming.

Juusoliapa - final product
 
    When I was out gathering some things for some vegan cheese experiments (see recipe links), I came across some "Bread cheese."   Now I had heard of this before but the details were sketchy to say the least.  Juustoliapa...or better known as that unpronounceable Finnish/Swedish squeaky cheese, was originally made from reindeer milk.  Modern versions use cow's milk, this cheese was designed to be dried out to keep for years.  It's a survival food of sorts as well.

     In fact, it's actually baked as part of the cheese making process and produces copious amount of whey.   I don't believe this whey was meant to be saved and used in other things, like breads, as it is in other cheeses.

       It was often served warm as a slice or in a round cake, and the final product is only about 1 inch (3 cm) thick, often with jams or jellies as a desert.   I actually had some this morning with some strawberry jam and was surprised at how well the jam and cheese complemented each other.  

    It is also served in coffee, where the heat of the coffee is supposed to warm up the cheese.  When added to the coffee, it loses its "squeakiness" somewhat and takes on the flavor of the coffee, it's actually not a bad combination.  

    A squeaky cheese is actually referring to the rubbery or springy curd of cheese itself, when bitten, the air trapped in the curd escapes, making the cheese "squeak."  The cheese itself has a very mild taste.

    That being said, the recipe I used was not very clear on the directions.   Long story short this will produce a lot of very wet curd, which then needs to be drained off.   The directions do not call for it to be strained over a cheesecloth, and frankly you will probably not need one.   You can let the cheese drain in a regular strainer with small holes, the curds are that large.   

    I drained the whey off at least twice in this process.  I even cut the recipe in half!  I should note that I used tapioca flour instead of corn starch (2 T of tapioca flour = 1 T of corn starch).   Then after baking at 500 degrees F (260 C) for 20 minutes you will still have some whey.   Some of this was lost as I "flipped" the cheese into another container of the same size to brown the other side.  

    So in the end you end up with a drier cheese, very mild in flavor that "squeaks" when you eat it, but goes very well with jams and jellies.   I even had it with breakfast the last two days in a row.  

    I was so happy with my Just...Juusto...that cheese, that I thought I would try a quick Mozzarella.  This is NOT a beginners cheese despite what various books or websites may tell you, and I've been putting off making it for several reasons.   

    What I ended up is a bit rubbery, it does cook up well - as I had it on burgers last night (and as my wife pointed out, breaking our Meatless Monday rule), and has the color of a nice Mozz.   It is just off in taste a bit.

    Although when cooked, it tasted exactly like a Mozz should.   It acted exactly like a Mozz should.  That's the problem with making Mozzarella.  Even veteran cheese makers have issues with it.   However I'll take a win where and when I can find it.

I'll take a win here even though it's a ugly win.    



Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...