Skip to main content

Anticipation

     The official first day of spring was roughly three weeks ago, although I think in most people minds, spring officially starts around Easter.   The last of the cold fronts have hopefully moved through and we are all waiting, anticipating, the growing season to start.

    It's almost a palpable energy sweeping through this small community.  All around our small town; I see fields getting plowed, garden beds are getting readied, even our own.  Talk of what fertilizer to use and potting soils fill each and every store around us.  Weed killers, organic and otherwise, are quickly flying off the shelves.  The hum of lawnmowers and other equipment fills the air.

    

    With each day that passes, another tree blooms.  Another flower sprouts.  Our yard is filled with daffodils and here and there, even a dandelion pops up. 

    Officially the first frost free day is around May 17th, but I don't think many people will wait that long to plant.  We are officially planting over this weekend, although we are starting out herbs and a few others indoors first.  

    I've had garden before but that was a different time, a different place.  One of my fondest memories was having friends over for dinner.  We, meaning my ex wife Teri and myself, had a wonderful homemade pasta with zucchini and with a fresh basil and tomato sauce that came directly from our garden.  Of course, my friends home brewed wine probably helps to enhance that memory of good times.  In the long run though that garden was given up after two or three years as life, and our relationship, started to fall apart.  Still though, there are more good memories than bad.

    This time just feels different.   I'm actually interested in having a small workable garden this time around.  Part of it is a desire to save some money of course; have you looked at the price of green peppers recently(?), but part of it is to move towards a healthier lifestyle.  Part of it is it seems right to use part of the land around us for a garden.  

    In the end, Sue and I decided to compromise and will be using a combination of containers and a 2 ft by 2ft by 2 ft raised beds.  This weekend we started planting the seeds in egg cartons and then will transfer them to as they grow into slightly bigger containers...then finally the into beds and containers themselves.  

    We also decided that we would by the beds from a local gardener instead of making them which frankly suites me fine.   I would rather have them be steady and secure than be of *ahem* questionable quality.


    We are also keeping our first garden simple with traditional plants and herbs like sage, onions, peppers and tomato's.  I guess my walking onions and lovage can wait.   We would still like to grow some berries as well, but this may be a project in it's own right.  

    We have discussed getting some deer fencing or bird netting as well.  Although I am enjoying the calls of robins, finch's and 1001 other birds at my feeder in the morning.  I have been awaken by the mechanical tap-tap tapping of a red headed woodpecker several times now; we don't want all are hard work to be eaten up.

    The previous day three gobbler turkeys and their harem of eight females wandered though our yard, sadly by the time I got the camera, they were gone.  All the birds around me actually do seem to be camera shy as I have tried to get good photo's despite several tries.

    Bear have been seen in the area as well and the possibility of seeing one excites me and I am actually hoping that one wonders into our yard.  Although I do hope to be inside the house at the time. 

    When I was a younger man, I loved the action of city life

Thanks to my buddy Doug Brick
. The endless possibility of what the city had to offer.  Music!  Food!  That lovely smile of a mysterious girl with the legs that went on forever!   However nature was always my escape route.   If things got to rough a quick walk in a park, a extended hike, or a drive out into the country could cheer me up.  Never in a million years however would I have thought I would be living here in the wilds of Western Pennsylvania.  Much less enjoying it.   


    Looking up into the night sky I can see stars again, whole constellations again.  Orion the hunter is an old friend that I've not seen in years it seems.

    I rarely hear the traffic and planes rarely fly overhead...leaving nothing but the sound of nature.  I've already talked about the birds but we hear spring peepers  in the early evening hours.   It's nice to fall asleep with the windows open and let the cool breezes wash over your bare skin.

Could I be happy?   Yes, I think I am despite the fact that my riding mower wouldn't start earlier AND had a flat tire...but I got 95% of the lawn cut before the rain settled in, so I'll take a victory where I can.

Do you find my tractor sexy?


     


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno