Skip to main content

Anticipation

     The official first day of spring was roughly three weeks ago, although I think in most people minds, spring officially starts around Easter.   The last of the cold fronts have hopefully moved through and we are all waiting, anticipating, the growing season to start.

    It's almost a palpable energy sweeping through this small community.  All around our small town; I see fields getting plowed, garden beds are getting readied, even our own.  Talk of what fertilizer to use and potting soils fill each and every store around us.  Weed killers, organic and otherwise, are quickly flying off the shelves.  The hum of lawnmowers and other equipment fills the air.

    

    With each day that passes, another tree blooms.  Another flower sprouts.  Our yard is filled with daffodils and here and there, even a dandelion pops up. 

    Officially the first frost free day is around May 17th, but I don't think many people will wait that long to plant.  We are officially planting over this weekend, although we are starting out herbs and a few others indoors first.  

    I've had garden before but that was a different time, a different place.  One of my fondest memories was having friends over for dinner.  We, meaning my ex wife Teri and myself, had a wonderful homemade pasta with zucchini and with a fresh basil and tomato sauce that came directly from our garden.  Of course, my friends home brewed wine probably helps to enhance that memory of good times.  In the long run though that garden was given up after two or three years as life, and our relationship, started to fall apart.  Still though, there are more good memories than bad.

    This time just feels different.   I'm actually interested in having a small workable garden this time around.  Part of it is a desire to save some money of course; have you looked at the price of green peppers recently(?), but part of it is to move towards a healthier lifestyle.  Part of it is it seems right to use part of the land around us for a garden.  

    In the end, Sue and I decided to compromise and will be using a combination of containers and a 2 ft by 2ft by 2 ft raised beds.  This weekend we started planting the seeds in egg cartons and then will transfer them to as they grow into slightly bigger containers...then finally the into beds and containers themselves.  

    We also decided that we would by the beds from a local gardener instead of making them which frankly suites me fine.   I would rather have them be steady and secure than be of *ahem* questionable quality.


    We are also keeping our first garden simple with traditional plants and herbs like sage, onions, peppers and tomato's.  I guess my walking onions and lovage can wait.   We would still like to grow some berries as well, but this may be a project in it's own right.  

    We have discussed getting some deer fencing or bird netting as well.  Although I am enjoying the calls of robins, finch's and 1001 other birds at my feeder in the morning.  I have been awaken by the mechanical tap-tap tapping of a red headed woodpecker several times now; we don't want all are hard work to be eaten up.

    The previous day three gobbler turkeys and their harem of eight females wandered though our yard, sadly by the time I got the camera, they were gone.  All the birds around me actually do seem to be camera shy as I have tried to get good photo's despite several tries.

    Bear have been seen in the area as well and the possibility of seeing one excites me and I am actually hoping that one wonders into our yard.  Although I do hope to be inside the house at the time. 

    When I was a younger man, I loved the action of city life

Thanks to my buddy Doug Brick
. The endless possibility of what the city had to offer.  Music!  Food!  That lovely smile of a mysterious girl with the legs that went on forever!   However nature was always my escape route.   If things got to rough a quick walk in a park, a extended hike, or a drive out into the country could cheer me up.  Never in a million years however would I have thought I would be living here in the wilds of Western Pennsylvania.  Much less enjoying it.   


    Looking up into the night sky I can see stars again, whole constellations again.  Orion the hunter is an old friend that I've not seen in years it seems.

    I rarely hear the traffic and planes rarely fly overhead...leaving nothing but the sound of nature.  I've already talked about the birds but we hear spring peepers  in the early evening hours.   It's nice to fall asleep with the windows open and let the cool breezes wash over your bare skin.

Could I be happy?   Yes, I think I am despite the fact that my riding mower wouldn't start earlier AND had a flat tire...but I got 95% of the lawn cut before the rain settled in, so I'll take a victory where I can.

Do you find my tractor sexy?


     


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...