Skip to main content

Who knew Cheese would be this fun? Cheese folly's Part 2

 

    I'm slowly but surely moving ahead with my cheese hobby. Recently I found some Facebook groups and other resources that are helpful in how to make cheese and what equipment I need,  including how to build a cheese press and make a cheese "cave."   Although I swear they are all hiring professional photographers to take pictures of their cheese!

    I'm still trying to keep it simple, however after the success of the Insta Pot Paneer cheese, I could not help but wonder what other cheeses I could make in an Insta Pot.   I found three different types of cheeses actually.   Cottage Cheese, which frankly I never really liked the taste of and wasn't interested in making.  Mozzarella and Ricotta were the other two.  I picked the recipes that I did simply because they didn't require any rennet or starters like many of the other recipes I found.

    I was unsure if I was ready for Mozzarella yet.  

    Out of all the cheese's this is probably the one that would make or break me as a "cheese maker."  Because not only is it the most popular of cheese - meaning that my family would actually eat it - but the most diverse of cheese - meaning that it ends up on pizza, or a sandwich at my house pretty quickly.

    Ricotta on the other hand is something that we eat and use, but honestly I could not tell you where and when.  It shows up in our stuffed shells and other food a bit.  Wanting to get a bit more experience under my belt before I attacked Mozzarella, I decided to make the Ricotta first.  That post is coming up soon.

    This post is about experimentation and the wide variety of cheeses out there and just how versatile they are.  I came across Amish Melting Cheese and Amish Buttermilk Cheese.  Darn. With the Super Bowl coming up, the melting cheese sounded really, really good.  I figured that it could be the basis of a nice dip with minced veggies and spices in it.  

Amish Cup cheese

    Which reading about this idea, I stumbled into the discovery of Amish Cup Cheese, which is basically the same as the Amish melting cheese, only completely different.  I had everything but the rennet (and more on that in a bit).

    I was beginning to realize that cheese making could be a perfect hobby for me.  Easy for the most part to do, not that expensive and with enough variety for me to indulge my love of experimentation.  

    First however, a word on milk.

    Generally speaking I was not getting a whole lot of cheese back from my efforts.  Part of me wondered if this was normal and part of me wondered if it was the milk that I was using.   Ultra High Pasteurized milk is just not going to cut it for making cheese due to the fact that the higher temperatures often completely brake down the proteins in the milk. 

    Finding cheaper milk however was proving to be a challenge.  It's not that uncommon that a gallon or more of milk would be needed to make cheese.  While I found a few nearby sources for unpasteurized raw milk (fresh from the cow as the saying goes) but that tended to be pricier than the store bought milk I was using now.   Plus, I may not get to the cheese making part ASAP and raw milk will not last long

    Although I did understand it helped the taste tremendously. 

    Frankly the yield I was getting per gallon of milk seemed rather small.  While this may have not been an issue several thousand, or even hundreds of years ago.  If you couldn't save it, you dumped it or fed to the livestock.  Letting some of it go to waste was an acceptable compromise for the stability of cheese.

    The cheapskate in me hates to only get a couple of ounces of good cheese out of a gallon or half gallon of milk.  In my research it's been suggested that if the milk has been pasteurized and homogenized you need the calcium chloride, CaCl, to help the milk stick its solids back together  This might increase the yield as well.  The use of non-ionized salt may also help.  It was only going to get worse as I got into cheese calling for heavy cream, buttermilk or goat's milk.

   

    Now a word on rennet and cultures.   While the taste of the cheese can be influenced by the type of milk, how long you heat it for etc.  Rennet is a chemical byproduct of some plants and animals that can cause the milk to curdle - the curds are what you use to make the cheese.  While vinegar and citric acid are fine and dandy for some things, the taste and type of cheese I'm planning on eventually making can be influenced by the rennet as well.   Now since I don't have an immature calf or goat to sacrifice to the cheese making Gods; and I was slowly but surly going to have to use rennet sometime.  Luckily I found a way to use common nettles or thistle as rennet.

     Plus the idea of making my own stuff appealed to me in this "new life" I find myself in.  While the price of commercially bought rennet wasn't to bad over time, in that it lasts 7 - 8 months in the liquid form and up to 2 years in tablet form, I was still bulking at the upfront price.  I hated to buy something and then simply not use it as other things in my life took over my interest in making cheese.  Although to be honest my new cheese making friends are telling me that rennet lasts longer than that.

    Sadly, it's winter and I've no idea where nettles or thistle would grow around here.  Which brings up the idea of foraging, but that's another issue for latter on.  Cultures were something that I would have to buy, and although I was able to find them online, I am holding out hope that I will find a "local" group or company that has cultures I can use.  Again though, I'm not at that stage.

    My success with the cheeses I've made so far however had lit a fire under me.  I want to make more.  I want to try different things.  I want to make cheese. 

 

 

    

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...