Skip to main content

Who knew Cheese would be this fun? Cheese folly's Part 2

 

    I'm slowly but surely moving ahead with my cheese hobby. Recently I found some Facebook groups and other resources that are helpful in how to make cheese and what equipment I need,  including how to build a cheese press and make a cheese "cave."   Although I swear they are all hiring professional photographers to take pictures of their cheese!

    I'm still trying to keep it simple, however after the success of the Insta Pot Paneer cheese, I could not help but wonder what other cheeses I could make in an Insta Pot.   I found three different types of cheeses actually.   Cottage Cheese, which frankly I never really liked the taste of and wasn't interested in making.  Mozzarella and Ricotta were the other two.  I picked the recipes that I did simply because they didn't require any rennet or starters like many of the other recipes I found.

    I was unsure if I was ready for Mozzarella yet.  

    Out of all the cheese's this is probably the one that would make or break me as a "cheese maker."  Because not only is it the most popular of cheese - meaning that my family would actually eat it - but the most diverse of cheese - meaning that it ends up on pizza, or a sandwich at my house pretty quickly.

    Ricotta on the other hand is something that we eat and use, but honestly I could not tell you where and when.  It shows up in our stuffed shells and other food a bit.  Wanting to get a bit more experience under my belt before I attacked Mozzarella, I decided to make the Ricotta first.  That post is coming up soon.

    This post is about experimentation and the wide variety of cheeses out there and just how versatile they are.  I came across Amish Melting Cheese and Amish Buttermilk Cheese.  Darn. With the Super Bowl coming up, the melting cheese sounded really, really good.  I figured that it could be the basis of a nice dip with minced veggies and spices in it.  

Amish Cup cheese

    Which reading about this idea, I stumbled into the discovery of Amish Cup Cheese, which is basically the same as the Amish melting cheese, only completely different.  I had everything but the rennet (and more on that in a bit).

    I was beginning to realize that cheese making could be a perfect hobby for me.  Easy for the most part to do, not that expensive and with enough variety for me to indulge my love of experimentation.  

    First however, a word on milk.

    Generally speaking I was not getting a whole lot of cheese back from my efforts.  Part of me wondered if this was normal and part of me wondered if it was the milk that I was using.   Ultra High Pasteurized milk is just not going to cut it for making cheese due to the fact that the higher temperatures often completely brake down the proteins in the milk. 

    Finding cheaper milk however was proving to be a challenge.  It's not that uncommon that a gallon or more of milk would be needed to make cheese.  While I found a few nearby sources for unpasteurized raw milk (fresh from the cow as the saying goes) but that tended to be pricier than the store bought milk I was using now.   Plus, I may not get to the cheese making part ASAP and raw milk will not last long

    Although I did understand it helped the taste tremendously. 

    Frankly the yield I was getting per gallon of milk seemed rather small.  While this may have not been an issue several thousand, or even hundreds of years ago.  If you couldn't save it, you dumped it or fed to the livestock.  Letting some of it go to waste was an acceptable compromise for the stability of cheese.

    The cheapskate in me hates to only get a couple of ounces of good cheese out of a gallon or half gallon of milk.  In my research it's been suggested that if the milk has been pasteurized and homogenized you need the calcium chloride, CaCl, to help the milk stick its solids back together  This might increase the yield as well.  The use of non-ionized salt may also help.  It was only going to get worse as I got into cheese calling for heavy cream, buttermilk or goat's milk.

   

    Now a word on rennet and cultures.   While the taste of the cheese can be influenced by the type of milk, how long you heat it for etc.  Rennet is a chemical byproduct of some plants and animals that can cause the milk to curdle - the curds are what you use to make the cheese.  While vinegar and citric acid are fine and dandy for some things, the taste and type of cheese I'm planning on eventually making can be influenced by the rennet as well.   Now since I don't have an immature calf or goat to sacrifice to the cheese making Gods; and I was slowly but surly going to have to use rennet sometime.  Luckily I found a way to use common nettles or thistle as rennet.

     Plus the idea of making my own stuff appealed to me in this "new life" I find myself in.  While the price of commercially bought rennet wasn't to bad over time, in that it lasts 7 - 8 months in the liquid form and up to 2 years in tablet form, I was still bulking at the upfront price.  I hated to buy something and then simply not use it as other things in my life took over my interest in making cheese.  Although to be honest my new cheese making friends are telling me that rennet lasts longer than that.

    Sadly, it's winter and I've no idea where nettles or thistle would grow around here.  Which brings up the idea of foraging, but that's another issue for latter on.  Cultures were something that I would have to buy, and although I was able to find them online, I am holding out hope that I will find a "local" group or company that has cultures I can use.  Again though, I'm not at that stage.

    My success with the cheeses I've made so far however had lit a fire under me.  I want to make more.  I want to try different things.  I want to make cheese. 

 

 

    

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno