Skip to main content

It really is..."The Simple Things" God, I hate cliche's

    Hey everyone!  Did you know that this page now has a companion Facebook page?   It will have articles, memes and such that interest me that relate to this page but don't really apply.  Be sure to check it out!

    OK...I hate cliche's.  Those terms and expressions that have been so overused that they lost meaning.  

    As I tried to write this blog entry, I found myself using more and more of them.  That's not creative, that's not even that interesting.  There is absolutely no reason that I should be boring myself...AND I AM THE FREAKING AUTHOR!  

    The problem is that Susan and I got into a little bit of discussion the other day.   It was over my current hobby of making cheese.   I was planning on making an Amish cheese that required the buttermilk to basically "spoil" before using it.  The correct way to do this is to use uncultured buttermilk and "culture" for 24 hours before making the cheese.     I let me "cultured" buttermilk sit on the kitchen counter for about 22 hours before I started making the cheese.   

    I understand her concerns.   Her background is in the culinary field and every fiber of her being is saying "DON'T LET MILK SPOIL!!!".  I'm letting the milk spoil.  I trust the recipe and know that I will be bringing up the temperature in the milk enough to kill the germs...although it doesn't tell me how long to hold it at the temperature, and I be lying to say I wasn't concerned about that. 

    This wasn't really a fight or anything.  It's just a difference in opinion.  I want the experience of trying something different, I want the experience of actually making something different than what I'm used to.   Or doing something different.    


    For me, given the chance to feed my next door neighbors horse or chop wood or hand feed a bunch of chickens and ducks; I'm going to do that.  It's an experience that I rarely or never had.  It's personal growth for me (Hey!  Cliche # 1).

    Yesterday, after taking Susan and her daughter out for breakfast, we came back only to find a bunch of her neighbor's chickens and ducks had wandered over into her yard.   She's been feeding them so of course they now wander over.  I keep dropping hints that would be willing to buy eggs and milk from her neighbors (they have goats as well).  Now I've fed ducks before at parks.   I've feed pigeons and sea gulls at parks and beaches.   I've even hand feed a squirrel at Happy Valley.  Of course, that was before they got famous

   


    I wanted to feed them and after doing so I felt a great contentment.   I found it pretty cool.  It a an old cliche but the older I get the more content I am with these "simple things"  (Cliche # 2 if your keeping count at home).

    This is where I could rant about society forgetting how to do things.  Or how I'm tying to save the Earth just a little bit by recycling more, using less and blah, blah, blah.   All freaking cliche's.  

    Now I'm not going to lie.  A lot of this is personal for me.  It really is doing something that I've not done before.   Part of it is altruism, because I've had to use food pantries and other resources at one time in my life...and I want to give back to them the fresh healthy food produced by my own hands.   Plus, and this is Cliche # 3 for those playing at home, I want to reduce my expenses if I can.   Of course, it depends on the costs in your area and how you calculate something out if it's "worth it."

    Let's throw in Cliche # 4 right here.    For me, the experience is "worth it."  And that really is all that matters.

    As for the cheese?  Well...

Look at those lovely curds!

    I have to admit that I didn't think the milk smelled like it had soured, it was cultured buttermilk and the recipe called raw uncultured buttermilk.  I absolutely loved the curds it created. 

    As for the rest of the cheese?  Well once it went into the double broiler to melt, I expected it to take on a fondue like quality.   Instead it all sort of clumped together.  It ended up as more of a semi soft cheese than a spread.

    According to the picture on the recipe this should be a creamy cheese...not a gloop.  Either my double broiler set up was wrong in some way, or the milk that I used really did need to be fresh and not cultured.  So since I doubt that I'm going to find that anytime in the near future...my Amish cheese recipes may be put on the side burner for now so to speak.  

    However out of everything I've made so far, cheese or otherwise, this is my first "miss" in the kitchen.  So I'm going to take that as a win and move on.   We learn as much from our failure as we do our success.  Hey Cliche number 5!

    Although there is a large part of me that wants to try this again, it's a rather simple recipe and I'm not sure exactly what went wrong.   Although I have my ideas. I have some rennet and culture on the way for other experiments in the kitchen.   I'm not done yet.  


  

    

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno