Skip to main content

Stupid is as stupid does

   Hey everyone!  Did you know that this page now has a companion Facebook page?   It will have articles, memes and such that interest me that relate to this page but don't really apply.  Be sure to check it out!

  
    To be honest I expected errors, I expected mistakes, missteps and even the occasional "oops."   This is new to me, and I'm doing things like I've never done before.  

    This time however I let myself get carried a way a bit and made an error that could have been costly indeed.   

   


    Our wood pellet stove needs cleaned out at least once a week.  You can push it a few more days but the ash does build up.   This time we didn't have the air intake for the fire set right and the pellets built up, all the way to the hopper gate.  This concerns me because we have a friend that had the fire in their auger which ended up destroying their stove.   A rarity to be sure, but if their is one thing I've learned in my life...is that the million and one stuff will happen to me.

    So I turned off the stove and let it cool, and started to clean it out with an older shop vac we have.   Problem was, is that the ash wasn't completely cold.   

    Most of you already know where this story is going don't you?

    Realizing that the embers were still hot, but unwilling to let them cool down anymore I finished the job, put the unit back together and restarted the fire.   I then took the shop vac out into the garage and took the unit apart.

    As I feared some of the embers were catching the vacuum filter on fire.   So I took that part outside and rubbed snow all over the filter.   I didn't see any more embers and assumed I got them all.

    Most of you already know where this story is going don't you? 

    Of course, while I was doing this it never occurred to me to remove the vacuum bag from the top of the other unit.

    Yep.  Not only did the bag burn up, but it left a hole in the top of the shop bag unit, burning right through the plastic.  Luckily, I had left that part of the unit outside in the snow, thinking that any additional embers would be to wet to catch fire, I guess I was wrong there.  But at least I left it outside.

    Nothing else was damaged and overall it's not much of a story to tell.   I'm actually very embarrassed by it.   However part of the reason for this blog is to prevent someone else from doing something stupid.   

    The shop vac was pretty old, I'm not even sure how it came into my possession, so it's loss isn't that big of a deal.  I could have had the unit sitting inside my garage were there are currently nearly two tons of wood pellets, gasoline, wood and cardboard.   Playing the "What If " game serves no purpose.   I was stupid, it won't happen again.  

    I'm not sure if there will be a Holiday edition of this blog or not.  So Happy Holiday's to you and yours!

 


 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...