Skip to main content

Our journey thus far (100 days and counting)

     We moved into this house back in September 2020, although I don't remember the exact date.  We had been thinking about moving back home for some time and were seriously considering/pursuing  the dream of either owning or running a bed and breakfast.  Susan has the hospitality background and book keeping experience and I've the experience in management, marketing, finance and taxes to make a go at it..

       It didn't work out that way due to several reasons, mostly because of Covid 19 but also because the place we found; which was an old 100+ farmhouse with a built on great room addition and an in ground swimming pool, would have required way to much work.  Plus the Small Business Administration didn't like a few things in our business plan - mostly the area where we where, which they didn't believe would generate enough tourist dollars to make the Inn profitable.  

    Part of our plan included  having gardens or chickens.  Partially to appeal to the crowd that wanted  the "farm to table" or "organic" options as well as keeping costs lower.  We also happened to be smack dab in the middle of Western PA Amish and cheese producing centers.  We had four small colleges nearby.  We thought we could make a go of it...and we had a few ideas that would have brought business in, but on to the topic at hand.

    Our love of good food and my interest in the Slow Food and Farm to Table movements is what re-sparked my interest in permaculture and other agricultural pursuits.  

    This journey has been an interesting one so far as we learn to adapt from our city life to one in the country.  For example, in our old community the recycling was done by the refuse company itself.  Here, we have to remember to separate out the items and rinse them first.  I spent five minutes today wondering if a Jack Daniel's Whiskey bottle was recyclable (it is).   

    We try to save water, and when the spring comes to dry our clothes in the warm breezes.  We are not forsaken modern life, but are trying to adjust our lifestyle some to not only save some money, but to reduce our carbon footprint as well.   I know many "homesteaders" and "preppers" wish to go off grid entirely. This is not for us but I could see some sort of solar power rig being used in the future.

    It really is 1001 little steps, but even those are hard to make at times.   We have adjusted to only going to the markets once a month for example mostly because the nearest markets are at least a 30 minute drive away.

    My interest in blogging comes from the simple fact that I like to write, and honestly it pleases me to simply put pen to paper so to speak and get my thoughts out.  If someone reads it great, I am hoping that somehow, somewhere, somebody will avoid the mistakes we have made, or at least help us celebrate our successes.  

   This blog is as much for my sanity as it is for your entertainment.    

    The plan for this coming week is a simple one.  I want to get the generator together and hopefully test it.  Although the hooking it up to an electrical box is simply beyond my ability,  So far we have had two electricians give us estimates of $1700 and $1300.  Which is blowing my original budget of $1500 for both the generator and the work required to hook it up to the house out of the water.   

    I do have a buddy of mine that I know could do the work and not cost me an arm and a leg (It would basically cost me some beer, food and parts), sadly however he's dealing with some cancer issues right now that take precedence. 

    As 2020 winds down I have some hope for the new year and my new life.  It's different than anything I've ever done before.   I am growing, changing...and that is not a bad thing although the real work - the gardens and home improvement work has yet to begin in earnest.  

    But I think the foundations are slowly coming into place.  I feel that we do have a plan to move forward, and if that plan fails we will adjust our sails and go to plan B, C, D and E if needed.   

    So...lets get started.


   

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno