Skip to main content

Our journey thus far (100 days and counting)

     We moved into this house back in September 2020, although I don't remember the exact date.  We had been thinking about moving back home for some time and were seriously considering/pursuing  the dream of either owning or running a bed and breakfast.  Susan has the hospitality background and book keeping experience and I've the experience in management, marketing, finance and taxes to make a go at it..

       It didn't work out that way due to several reasons, mostly because of Covid 19 but also because the place we found; which was an old 100+ farmhouse with a built on great room addition and an in ground swimming pool, would have required way to much work.  Plus the Small Business Administration didn't like a few things in our business plan - mostly the area where we where, which they didn't believe would generate enough tourist dollars to make the Inn profitable.  

    Part of our plan included  having gardens or chickens.  Partially to appeal to the crowd that wanted  the "farm to table" or "organic" options as well as keeping costs lower.  We also happened to be smack dab in the middle of Western PA Amish and cheese producing centers.  We had four small colleges nearby.  We thought we could make a go of it...and we had a few ideas that would have brought business in, but on to the topic at hand.

    Our love of good food and my interest in the Slow Food and Farm to Table movements is what re-sparked my interest in permaculture and other agricultural pursuits.  

    This journey has been an interesting one so far as we learn to adapt from our city life to one in the country.  For example, in our old community the recycling was done by the refuse company itself.  Here, we have to remember to separate out the items and rinse them first.  I spent five minutes today wondering if a Jack Daniel's Whiskey bottle was recyclable (it is).   

    We try to save water, and when the spring comes to dry our clothes in the warm breezes.  We are not forsaken modern life, but are trying to adjust our lifestyle some to not only save some money, but to reduce our carbon footprint as well.   I know many "homesteaders" and "preppers" wish to go off grid entirely. This is not for us but I could see some sort of solar power rig being used in the future.

    It really is 1001 little steps, but even those are hard to make at times.   We have adjusted to only going to the markets once a month for example mostly because the nearest markets are at least a 30 minute drive away.

    My interest in blogging comes from the simple fact that I like to write, and honestly it pleases me to simply put pen to paper so to speak and get my thoughts out.  If someone reads it great, I am hoping that somehow, somewhere, somebody will avoid the mistakes we have made, or at least help us celebrate our successes.  

   This blog is as much for my sanity as it is for your entertainment.    

    The plan for this coming week is a simple one.  I want to get the generator together and hopefully test it.  Although the hooking it up to an electrical box is simply beyond my ability,  So far we have had two electricians give us estimates of $1700 and $1300.  Which is blowing my original budget of $1500 for both the generator and the work required to hook it up to the house out of the water.   

    I do have a buddy of mine that I know could do the work and not cost me an arm and a leg (It would basically cost me some beer, food and parts), sadly however he's dealing with some cancer issues right now that take precedence. 

    As 2020 winds down I have some hope for the new year and my new life.  It's different than anything I've ever done before.   I am growing, changing...and that is not a bad thing although the real work - the gardens and home improvement work has yet to begin in earnest.  

    But I think the foundations are slowly coming into place.  I feel that we do have a plan to move forward, and if that plan fails we will adjust our sails and go to plan B, C, D and E if needed.   

    So...lets get started.


   

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...