Skip to main content

So...our power went out and

 we honestly don't know where to go next.


Our power was out for over 24 hours.  Luckily our house held the heat pretty well and we did not lose any food or other things.   It did however present us with some challenges and got me thinking that with winter coming, we are going to need some sort of back up power supply.

One of the biggest problems that we have with our home is that it's all electric.  We do have some long term goals to help correct that issue.   Everything from solar panels to switching out the electric range for a propane range and getting a tank for it. 


It looks like for now though we are going to have to go with a generator, and if we are going to go with a generator we have to ask ourselves what we want from it.

The biggest issue that I have honestly is that I know literally nothing about them!!!

I have never used one and wouldn't even know that to ask or where to begin.

Here are my questions/concerns: 
  •  We have to have the following running come colder weather (and it's getting below freezing tonight). The pellet stove and fridge are musts as the wife takes meds that have to be kept cold. They are on two different levels of the house which shouldn't matter? (we live in a split level home, so the pellet stove is in the lowest level, the fridge on the main level and our bedrooms are up a small flight of stairs).   I would like to keep the freezer on as well but if the door stays shut and we have ice packs in it, it should last some time.
  • How difficult is it to hook up a generator? I have zero experience with them so idiot proof is the goal. 
  • Is a dual fuel a better option than single fuel? Is one more efficient than the other? 
  • Is something like the Generac whole house generator worth the cost? I can afford it but don't want to break the bank or take on another payment. HOWEVER if it makes overall sense than I will do that. Or is a Honda generator just make more sense overall? I'm only on 2 acres of property so I don't see it getting much use as a back up power supply. 
  • How reliable is it?   I have to work from home and I need to be able to run my computer as well as other things for least 8 hours of uninterrupted time. 
  • Is there any thing that I'm missing?


This is the funny thing about being the "City Mouse" in the country.   I honestly don't know these things and that's one of the reasons this blog exists.   For if I help one person avoid the mistakes that I"ve made or if one person learns something than I know I've done my job.

Hopefully it's entertaining as well.

 So..if you know something gentle reader, please let me know.   

There are a few things I learned during the past 24 hours about myself, but that's for a another time, and another post.   For now, this is my biggest concern.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...