Skip to main content

Boring Bits and Pieces Part 1

    Hey everyone!  Did you know that this page now has a companion Facebook page?   It will have articles, memes and such that interest me that relate to this page but don't really apply.  For example, did you know that for thousands of years it was considered rude if you didn't let the bees know there was a death in the family?   Anyhow, check out the link above and let me know what you think.   Now on with the show!!!

     

    Over the past few days I've had a few things on my mind.   When I was focused on getting our house updated and up to code it was easy to concentrate on what needed done. Finishing the roof, the porch and a few other small projects occupied my mind.  My mother's untimely death in mid October also gave me time to focus on that, putting aside future plans to concentrate on the here and now.  

    Now that the major work has been completed and my mother has been laid to rest, the question now becomes "What comes next?"  

    If I am serious about reducing my carbon footprint, growing our own food, etc, then I have to have a plan.  A way to move forward.  When I posed that same question to a few people on the Reddit Homestead forum, I got back quite a few answers.  

    Basically it all came down to design and plan your garden for the coming spring.   We already know what we want to do and how, now it's just a matter of waiting on Old Man Winter to pass on through - and as far as I'm concerned he can take his time getting here.  The garden, in a way, is the least of my worries simply because we can't do much with it till spring.

    Another response put me in touch with a great resource I didn't even know existed.   That was the extension office for Mercer County, PA which is part of the Penn State University system.  However, due to Covid and other things that are going on right now, any in-person classes are either canceled or delayed.

   So we find ourselves in a pickle.  We have a few things left that need to be done and we are considering what to do.  We are in the home stretch of "Things that must be done before winter!" mode now.  

    Basically we need snow shovels, which is not that big of a deal but I've not shoveled snow in over 15 years.  Considering how I over exerted myself cutting wood last week, I am realizing that I am no spring chicken anymore and a snow blower may be a nice thing to have after all.

    We also need a riding lawnmower.   My property is a little bit over two acres of land, and even though part of it is wooded, I still have a bit to cut.   So I would like to get a mulching mower so I don't have to rake as well as something that I can ride.  A bigger mowing deck be great, as would a trailer hitch to haul something about and then finally a snow plow somewhere in the future.   

    Well a man can dream can't he?

    We're hoping that they want to move that merchandise now to make room for other things, so I should get a good deal...right?  

    The final thing that we have talked about is getting ceiling fans put up in every room.   Our home is split level and the pellet stove, our primary source of heat, is in the den; which is also the lowest room in the home.   

    The idea is a simple one.  During the winter we want to draw the heat up the steps and into the bedrooms and living areas.  By creating an updraft we should be able to warm the home and cut down on the number of pellets we need to warm the home.  At least in theory.

    We also are thinking about cutting a small grate into the ceiling of our basement den which would allow the heat to raise directly into the hallway and that would help heat the bedrooms.        

    Simple solutions it's true but ones that are designed to work efficiently. 

    Actually the fans and the lawn mower would be the last "major" purchase before the spring.  We are to a point where nothing else really needs to be done outside other than pressure washing the home, which is another piece of equipment we'll probably buy come spring.  

    Who knew that home ownership was such a pain in the butt?


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno