Skip to main content

The process of home improvement continues...what comes next?

Over the past month we have moved from one part of our lives and into another part.  Nearly everything is where it should be, the work on the house is scheduled and Sue is starting to concentrate on getting her business back up and running.  Our lives are getting back to "Normal" or what ever constitutes that right now.   We are falling into a routine.

I like my job with NYL and the fact that they were willing to let me keep it, even though I moved over 1000 miles away from my home office.   Our new house was slowly coming together and growing on me, although I still had some reservations. For example, while the local volunteer fire department was only about five miles away, the nearest hospital was further than that and had a reputation for barely being able to deliver puppies much less any serious issues that either of us my have.   Going to the store was going to be less and less a weekly or biweekly trip like it was before and more of a monthly one time option simply because of the miles and time involved.

Susan and I had gone out to dinner as a couple finally and had to drive an hour for Mexican food that was "satisfactory" at best.   The waiter seemed happy that he was actually able to talk his native language to me even though my very limited Spanish was God awful at best.   However they did have Horchata, but it was something they didn't have on the menu since no one ever asked for it.  He was happy to make us a glass or two.

Since we just moved, and having two large repair bills over our head, we were not ready to start any major projects.  The question was however...what comes next?

Painting most likely, as our bedroom has light pink walls and a deeper shade of pink carpet.  Another room has, to quote the lovely Sue, "Baby shit" brown walls and a horrid blue carpet.   We believe that the floors are actually covered in the same honey brown pine that most of the floors of the house maintain.    All photo's were taken directly from Zillow.com


Here is the living room with a good shot of the floors that we love with the exposed brick of the fireplace.  That chair and "wall" behind it will have to go.

 We knew there would be projects and Sue and I had talked about wanting to learn and take on more of the day to day "grunt" work.  I still hoped to take some time and be able to make or build some elevated garden beds for use in the spring and we joked about getting some chickens.   Our next door neighbor had his horses and a goat named Nanny that often wandered over to eat our grass and the idea of chickens sort of amused us both.

So painting we could do.  Even a little bit of plastering.  However some things, such as the roof and fireplace were simply beyond our ability...we wondered about the bathroom. It is...well.  Yea, it's bad.


Yes, that is blue carpet on the floor.  We figured that the old man that lived here us, and who built the place, got to a point in his life where he didn't want to accidentally slip and fall on the floor.   So, the blue rug went down.    If the wood isn't there, then we are going to tile it, put a double vanity in and redo the shower completely.   This is not a job that we can do ourselves so, that's on the wait list.

We actually have mixed emotions about the kitchen.  The design of it isn't bad although moving the fridge would make the work area more efficient.   The other appliances are just really dated.  The cabinets however are beautiful.  They were hand made, probably done by the Amish, and are deep and wide.  While the amount of storage in them is surprising, their is still not enough room for all of Susan's various cooking supplies and "toys."


 Why they covered a beautiful golden pine floor with cheap linoleum I'll never understand, unless they were trying to separate the kitchen area from the attached dining room.  Again this may be something we wish to tile eventually, and we would like to remove that island and replace it with something more functional.  

All this of course, takes time and money.  Luckily I have one of the two.




Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno