Skip to main content

Leaf peeping and just getting out for a bit.

       I have to be honest, I wasn't sure if or when I would get back to this blog.   It is easy to make excuses but honestly, I've not done much of anything to improve the "homestead" in over a week or two; and that honestly bothers me.

An old Caboose in Stoneboro
    I do tend to be a lazy man and I just feel that I should be doing more to help prepare this home for the coming winter, but so far the temperatures have not dropped below the mid 40's and the last  two days have been a pretty consistent rain, which makes doing anything outside unpleasant at best and down right near impossible at worst. 

    What this has allowed the lovely Sue and I to do however is spend a little time traveling, exploring and finally getting our new pellet stove installed.  Well Sue grew up in this particular part of Western Pennsylvania, I did not.  We decided to go sight seeing, take in the wonders of Autumn and just relax for a bit.  

    Now generally speaking I would get all geeky about going to Oil City and the surrounding area, after all this was pretty much the birthplace of the modern oil industry and the term "wildcat" - given to someone that drills for oil in unproven areas - was termed when one of the early oil explores placed a dead wild cat on top of his rig.   According to legend, he struck it rich the next day.   Now true or not, it's an interesting little piece of history.  Oil City State Park is full of old abandoned towns and sites that date back to the area's brief Oil boom in the 1860's.

    Plus, even though the peek leaf peeping season seemed to have passed us by, it was a good opportunity to get out and take the back roads some. 

    To many of these roads became irresistible to drive and we kept an eye out for the odd deer or bear to wonder out.of the surrounding woods, sadly we didn't see much of any wildlife at all.

    Their are actually three nice walking tours that you can take but the most accessible one to take is actually around the park office itself.   Petroleum Center is now officially an abandoned town, lasting but a scant seven years (1866 - 1873) it was the center of activity.   President U. S. Grant stayed at one of it's luxurious hotels.  Millionaires were made overnight and the town earned the reputation of being very similar to Sodom and Gemorrah.  There are a variety of historical markers and photo's around to review.

    Well we personally didn't hike any of the trails or visit Drakes well, we figured we would be able to do that some other day.  Plus, it's not everyday that you get to ride on an old train as well.  Which again, may be something for a lazy spring weekend.   

An old railroad bridge

View of an old bridge in the park

Same Bridge, Different view

  

     Overall it was really a good day out and about and sometimes you just need to get away and do something different.   

    I've already talked about the pellet stove enough, and I'm probably going to talk about it more in the future, but it was finally installed yesterday night.  We are planning on whitewashing the fireplace to lighten up the room in general but that is a project for the future.   If your interested in more sight seeing photo's or of the pellet stove them go to my personal Facebook page.  


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...