Skip to main content

The winds of a coming winter, woodn't you know it.

    It's mid September and already you can feel winter in the air, it lurks like a proverbial horror movie villain just outside the windows.  It's presence is felt in the dropping temperatures and the winds that blow across my neighbors open fields.  

    I had escaped it's grip twice before in my life, moving to North Carolina when I was a younger man fresh from college, and when I moved to Florida shortly after the 2008 housing crash because I could not get arrested in the Pittsburgh job market.

    Now I had returned, perhaps for the last time due to aging family and the wishes of my long time girlfriend I easily called "wife."  The first winter would be hard on me I knew.  I loved the warmth, the sun, the longer days of spring and summer.  I was not someone that enjoyed the concepts of being cooped up for three months hunkered down and waiting for the golden rays to return.

    However I could survive it.  

    It's all in how you prepare for it.

    For me, it's a matter of replacing our wood stove, first and foremost.  When we bought this house, somehow we didn't realize that there was no furnace in the home.   Only electric baseboard heating, which could be dangerous and inefficient, and a big old wood burning stove inserted to the fireplace.  At first I was looking at the wood burner as a joy.  

 "I wanted county living right?   You can't get more country than heating your home from wood!"

     However what I quickly found out is that the stove that was heating out home was thirty years old, had a broken blower and was out of code.   The professional chimney sweep could get us a blower and bring the unit up to code but that run us about three thousand dollars.   Which frankly I thought was bullshit but try finding a professional chimney sweep in Western PA with winter closing in.   They were...are...a dying breed.  So we decided to replace the whole unit which would run us close to 5K, this didn't make me happy but you have to look at the alternative.

    Our home could be heated by electric baseboard heating, and although this would work, would be very expensive.   At least the wood was renewable and was relatively cheap. A cord of wood only costing about $150 bucks.

    Now this is where shit gets boring.  In fact, you may fall asleep here and saw some logs of your own.

    I learned more about wood in the last three weeks than any man should know in a lifetime.   I also learned that I really enjoyed the mindless activity of stacking wood. 

    First thing I learned is that you buy wood by the "Cord."   That's basically a 4 foot high by 4 foot deep by 8 foot long pile.  You really don't know how much wood that is because the wood is often cut into different sizes and shapes depending on how the wood splits.   The wood is normally cut into triangular pieces for a couple of reasons.   1)  It's easier to stack and gives some stability to the wood pile.   2)  It allows air to circulate throughout the pile keeping the wood dry.

    The wood itself pretty much puts out the same amount of heat no matter what type of tree it comes from.   HOWEVER a denser tree is going to last longer in the fire.  A dense wood like Mahogany is simply going to last longer then a lighter wood like pine.  That staying power generates more heat over time.

    How efficient a stove is, frankly, is bullshit.    Modern wood burning stoves are designed to burn hotter and they recirculate the air in the stove itself, combusting any fine particles and volatile gases before blowing the heated air into the room.  This means that very little soot or gas is released into the atmosphere.   That's the "efficiency" of the stove.

    The actually amount of heat depends more on the density of the wood and how dry it is.   To properly "season" wood, it's suggested that it dry out for at least six months or longer.  Thus the longer the period of time a wood pile sits, the longer and better it burns.  Old times refer to this as having "money in the bank."

    Even though Winter was still technically three months away, this city mouse wanted to have at least two more cords of wood piled up and do what he could to insulate the home as much as possible.   "Winter," to quote the Stark's, "is coming."

    It's best to be prepared.

 


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno