Skip to main content

Random Parts and Pieces - Let's pretend we're dead

 Before my mother passed back in October of 2020, she and my dad has basically consolidated their lives to a small 2 room apartment building.   In the brutal logic that both my mom and dad practiced it made sense.   Less to maintain as they grew older meant less to worry about.

Their sons were married and had moved away from home a long time ago. They didn't need much or wanted much.  They lived simple lives and would rather spend their days on things they enjoyed like watching a family of deer romp in a field that their balcony overlooked.  Going out to dinner and spending time with loved ones and family.

When she passed unexpectedly and Gary, my brother, and I cleaned out the apartment, we were still amazed by the junk they had accumulated.   Somehow, we managed to get through the days.  When my dad passed, it was a little easier to not only deal with his passing, but to clean what he had left in his bedroom.

The original paint and drapes

Now Sue and I are going through our office and other rooms, as well as our lives trying to decide what is needed and what is not.  This is largely due to one of the last major projects in our home.  Painting.  The kitchen, dining room, den living room and hallway are complete, now all that needs finished are the bedrooms and office.  

I've never been a fan of painting, I'm never really satisfied with how something looks when I've completed it, which is one of the reasons we hired a professional painter recently. I'm also a big fan of hiring the right professional to ensure that the work is done properly and correctly.

Unfortunately, one of lessons I've learned is that I really don't how to do much of anything.

Looking on the bright side, it's also allowing us to clean things out, rearrange, reset our emotional Fung Shui in a way. 

So, we cleaned and found papers and other information that was no longer needed.   Things that we thought had been lost years ago, a plethora of pens and markers, documents that should have been shredded years ago.

Why do we keep all this crap?  Why do we humans insist on being the proverbial pack rat?  Certainly, our lives are more than.... collections of curiosities.  

I've touched upon themes like this before; the need to organize, to clean, to simplify.   While neither Sue or I are minimalists, we simply have too much stuff, and an old George Carlin skit comes to mind.  


I think about all this and more as my life changes.   Recently I've lost my Facebook accounts and have been in a fight with them to reestablish it, but if I am being honest with myself, I'm not sure if it's something I want to bring back.  

At the same time, I'm considering a side hustle to bring a bit more money into the house.   Which, due to the nature of any business today, would require social media.   As I had issues with setting up the new computer and dealing with VPN's, I realize how little I actually know.

I've had a lot of changes occur in the past several months.   

You can always reset, reorganize and begin anew.  You just have to understand that it gets harder and harder each year, and the years go by quickly.

My lovely wife and I were talking about that the other night.  How we need to organize for the future to obtain our dreams, yet still manage to have some sort of life outside of work and commitments.  How a side hustle may be not only beneficial but needed.

What legacy will I leave?   What memories will be shared?   What baubles will make up my life when they come to clean my room?

This cleaning is cathartic, and I think about all this and more.  How change is needed and required in order to grow.   

Our house, which has long felt like a stranger is finally talking on our personality.  It is finally feeling like a home built specific for us.  It's still going to need some work, but nearly all the major things have been completed.   Conversely, I feel a need to empty rooms and begin anew.  

Because the only constant is change.

Comments

  1. hay I was wondering if you had a email contact or such. I believe we knew each other from a little place in SL. Frunt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...