Skip to main content

Apples around Christmas - Recipe links included.

 As you can see, I've an abundance of apples.  A friend of a friend had a bumper crop...and here we are.

We have had them for a few days but up until now have not sure what we were going to do with them.  The lovely Sue I'm sure will find away to make a Dutch Apple pie.  I'm sure she'll find something else as well to do with them.

It's what I wanted to do with them that interests me.  I like to experiment in the kitchen and generally am not able to.  Mostly because what interests doesn't interest anyone else (See our recipe page for "Farts of Portingale" and a 2000 + year old chicken dish) and that I don't really feel comfortable in the kitchen unless it's pretty straightforward. 

I had apples, a pretty much non used jar of tahini and free time between now and the new year.  It's rare when Susan and I decide to try some things in the kitchen together

It all started with toast.  Sue is normally the one that makes breakfast on the weekends, or in this case over the Christmas Holiday.  However as she was making the eggs and sausage, on a rare free morning for the both of us; the toast making was delegated to me.  I quickly cored and sliced some applies and got out the tahini.

If you have not tried apples with tahini then you are truly missing out on a surprisingly good taste combination.  Your getting the crunch and sweetness/tartness depending on the type of apple with a little bit of creamy nutty goodness from the tahini.  This is easily one of my favorite breakfasts and is easy to prepare.   

The next morning we awoke to a bit of a cold snap here in Western Pennsylvania as the temperatures dropped to minus 5 F (-20 C) , and we decided to make another simple easy breakfast this time making a simple oatmeal with Tahini and Apple's. However  we quickly discovered it is a bland dish with a CAPITAL B.  If you want to sweeten it with honey you can or if you wish to keep it vegan; use agave. 

Then the lovely Sue had the marvelous idea of making fresh homemade bread with a simple Apple Butter.  We would share this with friends and family over the Christmas holiday as a last minute additional gift.   As the cold winds ravaged the outside world, I made a quick egg nog  that we could share with friends and family as well

.

You have no idea on how good this smells!

 Up until yesterday I can honestly say that neither of us were in the Christmas spirit.  As we smiled and joked and I called out a quick "Yes Chef" when commended (asked nicely) to do something, we listened to some wonderful music we were expecting to be joined by Susan's daughter and our friend Aaron.  We were hoping they would braved the first true storm of the winter season to join us and bake some cookies.  However they decided to stay safe, and we are glad they did, but I've a feeling this will become a new tradition for the family.

The table soon overflowed with cookies of various flavors, peanut butter and chocolate chip tending to lead the pack and barely had time to cool as they were gobbled up. Our house was quickly filled with love and laughter and the smells of nutmeg, anise and cinnamon.  I can't help but think how all of this spices would have been fit for a king centuries ago.  

Not everything was successful as a batch of cookies just refused to cooperate!

Cookie failure!

About the only thing that we were unable to make was Wassial.  That's okay too, we can save that for another night...and another story.

Sometimes...we are just overwhelmed by the beauty that is this life.  From my family to yours, Happy Holidays and my your New year be Bright.



Comments

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Between the rock and a hard place

This is the "personal" piece that I didn't plan on writing at all. I keep this blog to help me sort out the jumble of thoughts and emotions that are always bouncing around my head and for the sake of history.  For example, I knew I suffered from depression when I went back and read my personal journals; noticing how I was always bitching about the same things but never doing anything to change it.   The old saying about repeating the same pattern and expecting different results is very true.  Once I broke out of those patterns (with help from a mental health professional) my life got a whole hell of a lot better.  Thus it sort of pains me to see me considering going back into a career that I never expected to be in the first place. Call Centers/Customer Service have been what I've done for the majority of my life.  When the pandemic came, I was able to work form home, and I got used to sitting around in my PJ's drinking my coffee and answering call after ca...