Skip to main content

A little bit of gratitude

     Last week I got a great comment via Reddit concerning this blog and why I do it.  "Leaving a legacy to future ancestors through climate awareness - a smashing idea."  

    I was just happy that someone was reading what I wrote, and I appreciated it.  To make things even better, he's a professional writer and I highly recommend his blog.  I'm grateful for any feedback and this simple comment made me feel like I was on the right path.   

    So when I sat down this week, electronic pen in my virtual hand, I had a lot of thoughts bouncing around in my head.   My small container garden is growing, my dogwood trees (with edible fruit) haven't died and I got to spend some time with my 90 year old father; who seemed to fall in love with the goldfinches at my bird feeders.  Susan noticed the number of bees and hummingbirds that have been attracted to our yard, and laughingly told me not to mow till August.   

Photo by Birds Unlimited


    I've noticed something about myself as well; while I had my doubts about country life...I've grown to adore it.  I love to just go outside on a break from work and just stand outside.  I let the sunshine just pour into me and listen to the buzz of nature.  I am amazed by the variety of birds that visit my feeders; I simply don't remember seeing this variety, and number of, birds growing up.  

    In the evening, we watch a family of deer that wonder into the upper part of our yard to sample a well placed salt lick.

    I find myself full of gratitude for all these little simple things.

    In my chosen profession we bring up gratitude a lot.   It helps when you can connect with someone when you're talking about planning for a child's education, or the death of a loved one.  Sometimes I think that if I were still in sales, I would work with that autistic and special needs community.  Simply because they will not be around forever and their kids will need that extra help as they become adults.  

    I have been blessed with health and a pretty drama free life.  My biggest anxiety comes from letting our youngest cat outside; although it is fun to watch him chase a bee or attempt to catch a frog.  

    It's amazing what I've learned.  From simple things like planting flowers and trees to actually getting my hands dirty by working on machines and with tools.  While I've always had respect for the craftsman, I find it only grows here.  

    Somehow this country life has grown on me, I've even managed to get used to the sound of farm equipment driving up the road at 6:30 in the morning.  

    So yes, I do think I'm in the right spot at this time in my life.   I also think that I'm going to continue to do what I'm doing.   I will slowly learn to forage and slowly plant edible native plants around, I'll plant an apple tree and maybe another fruit bearing tree.  I will continue our small container garden and maybe expand it over time.

    Because I don't want to lose this.  If anything, I want to share it.  I want this to become my legacy, so it really doesn't matter how many people read this blog.  If one person is touched by it and moved to action by something they have read here, then it is successful.   

    If someone finds respite under a tree I've planted, or nourishment from an edible native shrub I've planted then I can think of no greater legacy.

Comments

  1. The country life! Simple, beautiful, filled with newness everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...