Skip to main content

When it rains....

Bad things they say; happen in groups of three.  Lately we feel that this has been multiplied by at least three, then that by three.  Nor was this the article I was hoping to publish this week, but here it is warts and all!

Thankfully there is nothing seriously wrong with my family health wise, and this is nothing that some more hard work and dedication will get us though.  There is one big personal item that I can not go into details on to protect her privacy but what is affecting us right now is that we are again faced with decisions on what to do concerning some major purchases.   I've already written about having to buy a "newer" car but I'm not going to bore you with details about replacing the water heater or unexpected tax bills.

 At the beginning of May, our riding lawn mower died.  





This in itself is not that big of a deal because I got a good five to six years out of a used machine, and the fact that it has started to give up the ghost really comes as no surprise.   I would have liked to have made it at least one more mowing season, but I'll most likely replace it this coming weekend.  We also lost our electric weed whacker and will most likely have to replace our water heater and microwave as well.  This is in addition to finishing up the tiling we are currently in the midst of in the kitchen.  

Being the geeky researcher I am, I wet down a rabbit hole regarding electric mowers.   We really don't need something too fancy, nor do we need something with zero turn.   What I am looking for is something that could cut a maximum of two acres on a single charge - mostly because my yard has various obstacles to cut around and I do not wish to be spending a bunch of time playing around with it.  Nor do I want to spend $1000 or more on a "zero turn radius mover in order to keep the costs down.    

I'm suddenly in the three thousand and up dollar range.  So, what does my research show?  

That the most expensive part of the machine, the battery, is only expected to have a lifetime of three to five years, however the machine itself can last between eight to twelve years.   A gas powered lawn mower lifetime is between ten to fifteen years.  The "life" of the mower depends on a lot of factors of course ranging from maintenance to the type of yard your mowing.   Sadly I've taken out a few blades due to yard roots and stones.   In fact, it's so bad in one part of my yard that I decided to just let it grow wild a few years ago.  

So where the gas powered mower clearly had the longevity, I started to wonder about the environmental impact.   The advantages of going with an electric mower were significant.

A regular lawnmower engine is sometimes referred to as a 1-stroke, or 2-stroke, engine depending on who you're talking to but the idea is the same.   The engine burns fuel in a single motion, combining both compression and power in one stroke.   Due to the fact that not all the fuel is combusted in a single stroke the emissions are higher than they would be in a larger four stroke engine but the basic science is the same.  


Frankly all the combustion is simply eliminated from the electric mower, creating a more environmentally friendly machine, except for the battery and how it's produced, and considering the lifetime of the battery is so short, I can't help but wonder if that is a liability to the overall decision.  

Then there are the costs, and I don't see gas prices falling anytime soon.  While an electric riding lawn mower is going to be a large up front expense, I think it's worth it not only from a environmentalist point of view but from an economic point of view as well.

The electric mower, while not maintenance free, is going to require less work to maintain in the long run.   It's not going to require me to keep track of the last oil change or clean up after a gas spill, and while I'm not happy about the battery life...the technology should only get better in the future which will increase the life span of the mower.  

 Yes, it's up front price is substantial but in the long run it should pay for itself.  

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...