Skip to main content

I hate being trendy part 4 - "They are out to get me!"

    Thanks to the wonders of algorithms if I try to eat a little healthier or try to eat a bit more plant based, my social media feeds (have you checked out our Facebook page yet) explodes in a variety of articles and recipes.  Which I don't mind so much in that I like to learn about different things that interest me.   What I do mind is that I have more than one interest and my feed is full of nothing but vegan and plant based info now.   


    For example, Kentucky Fried Chicken's new plant based nuggets.  No, I've not tried them yet but I'm planning on it.  My social media feeds are full of stories, reviews and general information about this one product right now.

    Any company that is offering plant based foods I think deserves kudo's and our cash; because if they see it's a profitable market, they will continue to support it.   It's not a bad thing as such, although please note that KFC's plant based offering is technically not vegan or vegetarian because they are being cooked in the same fryers as their usual chicken products.  Hopefully that will change in the near future.

    That frankly doesn't bother me, but then again I'm not vegan or vegetarian and I think KFC missed the mark because they would have expanded their market by making one fryer dedicated to just the plant based nuggets.  I just want to eat good food and I've heard nothing but good things about the KFC plant based nuggets.   I am on a journey to eat healthier and better and I'm doing this for the environment and for me.  

    The journey however is full of pitfalls. I try to eat a healthy snack like Veggie Straws and up pops the Food Network website with a story how maybe they are not as healthy as I may like.  

    Even in my day job, where I work in insurance and banking, is not free from the influx of plant based news.   The highly respected Motley Fool financial newsletter recently published an article about the top Vegan brands that we should be looking to invest in.  

    Plant based and healthier products are the wave of the future.  Most of the small brands like Amy's and Evol foods are now owned by larger multinational food companies.   That being said I generally like both of these companies and have purchased the Evol brand several times.

    Evol generally are not vegan or vegetarian products but do offer good tasting food that is generally lower in sodium, calories and sugars than other similar brands.   So when I found they made a plant based Veggie Burrito bowl, I was excited to try it.  

    So why didn't I care for their Veggie Burrito Bowl?  It is something that I can't place my finger on.  

    I like a touch of spice but this was not spicy, or had much of a taste at all.   It was simply...bland.   As someone that praises taste above all us, this is a cardinal sin.  Which is a shame, I generally love the Evol foods brand and would recommend nearly all of their products.  Just not this one.

    

Power Bowl
    Another product that I had mixed feelings about was the Healthly Choice Falafel and Tahini Bowl, which is also owned by the Conagra Brand.   Being a "Power Bowl" the falafel and some greens are basically served over a mix of brown and red rice, red quinoa, and black barley.   That, I suppose, is what creates the "power."  

    I actually enjoyed the falafel and tahini sauce although I wish the veggies were a bit more plentiful.   The rice, quinoa and barley mix was actually the disappointing part for me, as it turned into a 1 note bland taste that reminded me of paste.  No, it did not have that consistency but it just was one bland note.  Reading some of the reviews, it appears that some hot sauce or lemon might have been a good option to add to the dish overall.    

    Like everything in life, you do have to understand how to read the nutritional label and be sure that you are buying a product that meets your needs.  In my case for example, I'm trying to watch my salt intake and my tran fats.   Eating prepackaged food, even if it is vegan, is not a good choice but I do find it to be quick and convenient.  

    For example the Healthy Choice item was higher in calories than the Evol meal but higher in protein, calcium and iron.  Other wise the two were close to being identical in nutrition.   I know I'm not comparing apples to apples but it's still a fair comparison to make.  

    One day I may become a better cook and actually try to create or recreate some of these dishes, for now however I'm okay with eating the per-made stuff.  Plus, like I mentioned before, the only way to get a large company to continue to make something is to show that there is a market for it.   

    Waiting in the wings (pun intended) is a meal from the Jackfruit Company, some plant based burgers made from mushrooms and a few other things.  So my journey will continue...and I suppose these brief little reviews will as well.

    Your feedback is always welcome..


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno