Skip to main content

Why I choose to be an Odd Fellow

               

                

    When I first decided to write about why I joined the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, I thought that one of the best ways to do it would be more me to tell you about my love of music.

    I am not a musician myself, never having the patience to sit down and practice or put in the hard work.  However I grew up in a house where records and the radio were just part of everyday life.  As I was growing up I was surrounded by the sounds of Mel Tillis, Kenny Rogers and George Straight.  As I grew older I found myself drawn to bands like Genesis, Jethro Tull, Rush and Jazz music.

    My friends however were all musicians, playing trumpets, guitars, drums and a whole range of instruments.  An old roommate often had band practice in the garage next to my car.  My first wife was a professional flutist and even though the marriage was unsuccessful, I still have a deep love and understanding for classical music.

    Music has always intrigued me because; no matter what country the musicians are from, no matter what languages they speak or the color of their skin…if you put them in a room with their strings and woodwinds, they will find a way to “talk” to each other.  They will form a community.    I have seen this happen time and time again as words are dropped and the notes of some old familiar song fill the air.

    I’ve been missing that communal feeling since moving to Western Pennsylvania.  While it’s true that we are near family, I was looking for a way to integrate myself into the wider community as a whole and had passed the local IOOF lodge several times.   However I never saw any cars nearby and never bothered to stop to see the phone number listed on the sign.

    It wasn’t till I found a booth at the local fair that I decided to stop and talk to them about membership.   The rest they say is history.

    I had heard of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows after seeing something n TV about their history.  I had actually talked to a member of the group long before this chance encounter and knew that one of the local homes for the aged was associated with the organization.   


    The more I learned about their beliefs and ideals of the organization, the more that I realized that I was an “Odd Fellow” my entire life, although my belief in God is tenuous at best.   I have to laugh as I remember someone calling me that as a derogatory term a long time ago.  Ah, if only they knew how right they where!

    Years ago I came across a quote that sums up the way life should be lived.   We are here to see each other through this world, not to see through each other.    Even though I do not know who first stated it.  I can think of no other way to live my life and have tried to live by that principle ever since.

    The Odd Fellows, to me at least, are the personification of that quote.  Without even realizing it, I was living some of the central tenets of Odd Fellowship my entire life.  My original degree is in education and for a brief time, about three years, I taught school.  While these children were far from orphans, I was helping to educate the future.   In my duties as an insurance agent and financial advisor I was helping to bury the dead, and finally I have always tried to visit the sick and relieve the distressed by various charity work that I’ve found myself involved in through the years.  

    I am still a new member, but I’m a proud member that is looking forward to not only helping my lodge grow and thrive, but trying to help the order survive into the future.  There is still a place for ritual in this world.  There is still a place for those of us that believe in charity.  

    There is still a place in this world for Friendship, Love and Truth.


 

Comments



  1. Bravo! Beautiful written! Your sentiments echo what I feel jus the core of the organization. I too am a fairly new member at a big lodge that had sadly fallen into dilapidation due to those in charge the last 30 years. Their allegiance seemed to be more in another arena. Thankfully we have been cleaning house and have a new Noble Grand etc. I look forward to this lodge being all it can be. There is much heart and commitment here in the new guard. FLT must reign!

    From Matt Prine Chorro 168

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno