Skip to main content

Rome wasn't built in a day

  

You, lucky reader, are in for a treat today.   The post was actually written before the Easter Holiday and varied in length, detail and focus.   While not a Christian, I felt that going into the pagan origins of tthe Holiday would upset some people for example.  

However at the end of day you have to post something, even if your nat happy with it.  This post deals mainly with my disappointment in not getting to power the house with my generator even once so far since buying the damn thing.  That post is below.

Although we did starts remodeling the bathroom over the Easter weekend by ripping out the ugly blue carpet that was in it.   We discovered mostly neutral linoleum under that which, surprise, is in good shape.

It’s still ugly and will still get replaced, but it will work for now. 

 Happy belated Easter, and you can read a bit more about my holiday here.  

 

"Oh Bother" said Sue, looking outside.  "I'm afraid my Easter decorations will blow all over the yard."  I could not help but think of Pooh and his friends as they faced a storm in the 100 acre woods.  I have seen many days like this, where a light rain stung your skin and leaves made little tornado's across the drive way and yard.  Sadly the whole weekend was rainy and windy.  It made doing some of the yard work I had planned for the weekend "unpleasant" to say the least.

    "It is a blustery day." I told Sue as I went to fetch a blow mold of Peter Rabbit before he crossed the road and the freedom of the open fields beyond. 

    What concerned me however was the fact that I could hear branches breaking from the wind in our woods behind the house, and that we were suffering intermittent power outages.  I secured Peter Rabbit and family, and went to the barn to fetch our generator.

   


Since I've bought it, other than a few short test runs, I've not used it.  The winter I found was not that bad and simply had not needed to use it.  I wondered if today might be the day.  I prepped it, doubling checking the instructions on how to run the house with it as needed.  What switches would have to be off, what switches would have to be on.

    And then I waited.

    The day remained rainy and cold but the winds slowly died down and the power never went off, I was able to work without incident or accident.

    To be honest, I was a bit disappointed.  

    We still did a test run, to make sure that it could power what I wanted and needed it to do.  Both the kitchen and downstairs freezer had power.  My work computer had power.   Our wood pellet stove had power.   So if and when that time comes, we know it will work.  

    Since Susan is working again, we have found that we simply don't have the time to do what we would like to do.   Well, that's not true.   We have to work smarter and a bit harder than we did before to make things happen.

    For example, this weekend I managed to put the grill together.  Which as anyone that has spent any time in Florida will tell you; is an absolute must if you are ever without power for days during hurricane season.   Although we decided to go with the basic grill...I would have not minded having a smoker.  Growing up, I remember my father grilling steaks and burgers in the rain and snow. 

   

Our Japanese Maple in bloom
The long term plan is to enclose the back porch, making it a screened in dining area with a small patio area where we can put a fire pit and have the grill off to one side.  We may have to replace the porch however, while I believe is in good shape I really can't be sure without having a proper inspection.  I don't know when it was built or by whom.

    Screening in the porch may be a project that I could do myself for under $1000.  Luckily I got some friends that may be willing to help if I can count of them.  I asked one of them about putting together a cheese press for me, even offering to buy the materials and pay him for labor, and it is still not been completed two months later.  

    The more I think about though, the more I'm thinking that this is something that I can do.  With our large garden now being a container garden and maybe 2 small raised beds, we should be able to knock off screening in three sides of the porch pretty easily (1 side is already completed) and might even be able to get it down by the end of summer, if I actually get off my ass and do it.  

    We had planned to do three things during the winter months.  We wanted to repaint the bedrooms and hallways.   We wanted to white wash the fireplace downstairs and finally, I wanted to catch up on my reading since I’ve several novels taking up space on my nightstand.  None of these things were accomplished.

    We did get a few things done, but no major work.  The painting for example, could take a weekend.  Other projects like the bathroom are simply going to have to wait till we find ourselves in a little better financial situation.   Plus that will require professional plumbers and tile folk.  

    We are not quite at that stage yet.  Same with the kitchen, which just needs an update with tile to replace the god awful linoleum and appliances.  I think an island for storage and counter space is not a bad idea, Susan thinks otherwise.  

    The point of all this, I have to remind myself, is that Rome wasn't built in a day.   However after six months of living in this house, we are finally getting to a point where we are happy with what we do have, and have the last of the boxes put away.   

    Now comes the fun part, making our house into our home.  

The latest in solar and wind powered dryers


    


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...