Skip to main content

It's quiet here Lord, in Western Pennsylvania

     Years ago I remember reading that Title line from a poem.  I've long forgotten the poem, the poets name and even the book I read it in.   

    However that first line has always stuck with me.   

    It is quiet here in Western Pennsylvania, I can hear the two dozen or so different species of birds sing in the trees that surround my home.  They swoop in sometimes, chickadee's and mourning doves, to eat at my feeders.

    I've not seen a robin yet, and I do miss the family of Cardinals that used to come home every year and build a nest not far from my home in Tampa.   The young ones first flight was often to our feeder, where they would feast on black oily sunflower seeds and knock the little grains to the grass below.  Where rabbits and squirrels would gather to feast. 

    Here a lone chipmunk bides his time and avoids the feral cats that would gobble him whole.  I watch as he nervously stuffs his cheeks before disappearing into the underbrush.

   


    It is quiet her Lord, as I lie awake in bed staring into the black and hear the snort of my neighbors house.  I smile as a doe takes a tentative lick off of salt block, then blurs into the woods surrounding my home.   

    I turn on some Grateful Dead in the middle of the day, letting the music loop lazily through the home as I stare at the data on my work computer screen.   As I start to hum Ripple to myself, I think about how I'm connected to people I will never meet.  My actions will bury someone's love, send grandchildren to college, and keep a roof over someone's head.

    It is quiet here in Western Pennsylvania, as my cats count in the few passing cars in the warm autumn sun.  They purr lazily as they drift into sleep, happy and content with bellies full of milk and food.


    It's easy for me to forget that any life other then this one ever existed.  I have, in a month, grown used to the quiet and solitude.  Of course, it's easy to say that as the last boxes of our move are unpacked and the rooms start to come together. I've been kept busy

    Come winter it will be time to paint the walls and read those books that I've put off.  I can't help but wonder if I will soon miss the noise and activity of city life. 

    For now though, I am happy enough to wake; wake before the dawn and start out my window to watch the day begin anew.

    The world may be crazy and I'm afraid for my country, but for now...I am at peace.


 

 

     

 

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...