Skip to main content

Notes at the beginning of Autumn.

 It is officially autumn now, and slowly but surely, we prepare for the coming winter.  It is the time of year when nights are getting longer as the temperature drops. While I find it rather comfortable, my wife would rather turn on the fire to warm her hands.

We are both getting older and the chill comes easily now.  

It is the time of year when the shadows are growing longer, spiders find themselves in the way and we find ourselves doing a silly dance in an effort to avoid getting them on us after walking into their homes.   Pumpkin spice is everywhere.  

I think about autumn as I lug the bags of wood pellets in one by one into my garage.   Last year we ordered four tons, or basically two hundred bags weighing 40 pounds (18.1 Kg) a piece.  Moved from outside the drive to the inside of the garage and restacked, over and over again.  It needs done.  We used three and a half of those tons.   This year I only ordered three tons.

Sadly, our home, which was built in the 1970's, did not have any ductwork or central heating or cooling.  It's primary system of heating the home was an old wood fireplace and dispersing the heat through heat resistant bricks and an old attic-based exhaust fan.   Turn it on and basically suck the heat out of the den (the lowest part of the house) and into the rest of the rooms.    In summer, it's the same idea!  Turn it on in the chilled morning air is pulled into the house cooling it.  In the winter, we use that fan to pull the heat up into the rust of the house.   We need to be careful however not to leave it on too long, as then the heat from the pellet stove can be completely lost.  

I love the simplicity of it, and it says much about the former owners and their commitment to using nature to their advantage.   We rarely, if ever, use the electric baseboard heating.  The way the house is oriented gives us a lot of natural light and passive solar heat, the house was well insulated to keep it cool in summer and warm in winter.  Even the landscaping was done in such a way to allow the water to drain away from the home.   

There are problems with wood pellets, however. first off is their moisture sensitivity.  They can swell and even form "blocks" of pellets if wet.  Not only can that cause problems in the stove but clearly cut into the total effectiveness of the bag.  In the end we ended up exchanging some 28 bags for "drier" bags.  They also require significant storage space.   As most of our small garage is now holding pellets.  They are "renewable" in that it takes a good 20 to 30 years for the trees to be replenished.  That's one of the many reasons I am trying to plant native plants in my yard and surrounding areas.  

A small drop in the bucket, but it's an effort to leave something better than I found it.

When I planted a Bur Oak tree in the summer, even though I know that I will not be alive to see its full glory, I planted it in such a way that hopefully it will provide shade to the home, or whatever shelter replaces my home.  Shade that will help cool any future residents in a hotter future.   

I still have a few trees that I need to replant, My PawPaw is growing rapidly, and I am very tempted to replant it where it sits today but that is a little too close to the house.  I also have a persimmon that I would like to replant, and it's looking healthy but really has not grown that much as compared to the PawPaw. 

There is also a young oak that is growing in a good spot but is too close to my shed, so I need to move that little guy as well.   

It's going to be winter soon and if I'm being honest with myself, it's not something that I am looking forward too, and I really do need to get those plants in the ground sooner than later.  

All the while I have no idea what the weather will be like, only that this entire month has been rainy, and I find ourselves "prepping" for something.  Like there is something out their hiding in the morning mist, waiting.  

I still feel somewhat disappointed in myself that the summer got away from me, and even though a bit was accomplished, there is still more to do.  There is always more to do.  However, there is a quote from a series of books that I am reading that have summed up my current situation for me:  "It's okay to be a work in progress."

I have to prioritize my work.  

  


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...