Skip to main content

This Inevitable Ruin. Is there hope in the darkness?

I consider myself a smart and well read man, so up until recently I was surprised that I had never heart the the the concept of "This Inevitable Ruin" before.  It's an idea or concept that downfall and destruction is unavoidable.   That chaos is an unchangeable outcome no matter what actions we take.  

That what ever victory we obtain will have a high psychological and moral price, and may be short lived.  

As my own family, friends, and readers face an unknown future on so many fronts I wonder if  such "Inevitable Ruin" awaits us?  If it awaits our country or even our world?

I am not a nihilist but the concept has been ringing in my ears lately as we seem to careen from one crisis - be it personal, economic, local, state wide, natural or global.  

This article has started and stopped many times, yet I can't seem to get it right.  I even played around with an AI program to see if it would help focus my thoughts, it did not.  Nor did I like the idea of using such a program.   It's a tool but once you get past spell checking and grammar, it seemed as if there was no more soul to the words that I was typing.   Inside my head is a jumbled mess of emotions, thoughts, half baked ideas and even though it's a mess...it's my mess.

In the past two or three years things just seem to have fallen apart on both a personal and national level.   I wish I could point out a particular moment in time when things started to go wrong.  

Harambe - if you know, you know

The question becomes, what to do about it.  

It's not easy to have hope when it feels like the world is crashing down around you.  However to quote a famous line from the novel Game of Thrones.  The quote comes from one of the characters that sows division for his own advantage.   The quote "Chaos is a ladder."

In this particular case, the character of Petyr Bealish argues the individual can use the disorder of the times to find succuss; climbing the ladder, by using that disorder to their advantage.  Sometimes my manipulation others or creating divisions.  It's using that chaos to achieve some goal.

However, I like to think of it this way.  In time of upheaval you can use what has been broken to create something new.  Can we take the broken pieces and recreate something new and better?   I would like to think we can.

I may not particularly have cared for or even liked the changes in my career that have been forced upon me, however I now am in a position that does offer me profit sharing and I am building towards a goal.   I've also reached the conclusion that if I can keep this job for two years - that if something changes after that, it does not matter.   I'm done.   I'll be in a position to retire.  That I will retire.  Anything past the age of 62, is basically "bonus" money.

It's become important for me to keep this job for two years, I'm taking the broken pieces of my life and trying to organize them in such a way that I can work towards a goal.   In this case, retiring.   If after that two years, as long as I have a job then it doesn't matter.   I can work or leave at any time...but I know that I don't have to worry about the future.  It may be a bit of a struggle, but I'm done

As a society I believe we can as well.  This is not the America that I grew up in and it's up to my generation to at least prepare the next ones for the chaos and upheaval the best we can.   To put the idea in their heads that "We fucked up.  We are sorry, but you have the tools and experience to do better."

I truly believe that the conservative response to the "rise of Socialism" in the youth of America is a tacit admission that the concept of American Capitalism has failed.   However what the conservative's call "Socialism" really isn't what the majority of Americans consider Socialism. 

I'm publishing this as is.   Jumbled thoughts and all, maybe it will help you in some way, maybe your in need some clarification and this jumbled mess will help you.  Maybe not

It really doesn't matter.   Just remember that your not alone out there in these weird and touchy times.  That your thoughts, your needs, your desires are important.  That somehow we will find a way through.   We always have, we always will.  Together.   


Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...