Skip to main content

Teri McDonough Wilson - now memories are all I have

 I don't have a photograph of her.


That's what I remember thinking when I learned she had recently passed.  I'm sure somewhere in the boxes scattered throughout my life here in Western Pennsylvania is a picture of Teri and I.  We were married 10 days after September 11th, 2001.  

I still remember the day of our marriage, as we scrambled to make sure that we had a backup best man and a backup "father to give away the bride" just in case my best man, who was in the Air Force at the time; and her brother (Navy) were called off to active duty.

It was a wonderful open-air wedding with great food and lots of dancing and seemed like a great start to our lives. Two young people ready to take on the world.   Needless to say, the world won.

Our relationship started off well but by the economic collapse of 2007/2008 we started to show signs of stress.  Sadly, I lost my job and fell into a deep depression, I often say that I was "frozen" as I seemed unable to take care of even the most basic of tasks.   She had her own concerns and instead of being partners to help each other through this mess.... we moved in two different directions.

I knew it was over when I went to visit her in a hospital after she had some sort of procedure done...and all we could do was scream at each other.

I moved out of the house we shared in Pittsburgh and pretty much left everything to her.  Shortly after I moved to Florida on a whim and found myself starting over.

I don't even have a photograph of us.

Time heals all wounds and we moved on.   Slowly we started to talk to each other again.  She and I met other people, she got the family that she always wanted and become an adopted mother and grandmother to a large family.  Somehow, we become friends and forgave each other for the pain and hurt that we caused each other.

I knew she was happy as she cooked for this newfound family and taught the youngest generation how to cook.   To know Teri was to be fed by Teri.   I last spoke to her on Thanksgiving Day....and we talked about an hour or so, about family and being thankful and yes; about food too.

Our mutual love of food was one of the reasons we found each other, as was our silly sense of humor.  We danced in kitchens, in parks and on street corners because we could and it was fun.  She was one of the few people in my life that I can honestly say caused me to belly laugh consistently. 

Sadly, Teri's health was always a concern.  She had been born with a hole in her heart, a physical condition because spirit wise her heart was never ill.  Her brother put it best at the funeral.  A hole in the heart is a contagious condition.

She had two heart attacks during out marriage, and a horrible miscarriage.  I came home from work that day and thought I entered a murder scene.  I nearly fainted when I learned that I was going to be a father.

Still though, we had dogs and cats running about.  We had friends and wonderful dinners and more good days than bad. 

I'll miss her.  

Her death was unexpected, despite her health, and somehow this seems to be affecting me harder than it should.  It's been years since I last saw her...and our lives are truly separate now.   Yet, she kept my last name all this time.

I just always expected her to be there.   Much like I expect my beloved Susan to always be there for me.

A part of me has, and will, always love her.  Good night, Teri.

Photos of Teri are available here if you would like to have an idea of the type of person she was.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Taking care of my mental health. A brief hiatus is in order

  Without going into to much detail, I decided to leave my job at the beginning of September.  There are many reasons for this but for some time I've been feeling that my current position has not been the best fit for either the company or myself.    I did not feel like the company was listening to my concerns nor do I feel like they really cared for their employee's; despite a killer benefit package that I'll never see again.  Their technology was at least 20 years behind everyone else and  I believe that they really didn't have the best interests of their customers at heart. It's not all their fault.  I'm to blame too as it seems that I've not been living up to their goals and needs for the last year, and this is one of the reasons it's taken me so long to write this blog post. In addition to trying to find a new job before the end of the month, I've been dealing with anxiety and a mild case of depressio n.  Writing a blog that deals with ...

Notes at the beginning of Autumn.

 It is officially autumn now, and slowly but surely, we prepare for the coming winter.  It is the time of year when nights are getting longer as the temperature drops. While I find it rather comfortable, my wife would rather turn on the fire to warm her hands. We are both getting older and the chill comes easily now.   It is the time of year when the shadows are growing longer, spiders find themselves in the way and we find ourselves doing a silly dance in an effort to avoid getting them on us after walking into their homes.   Pumpkin spice is everywhere.   I think about autumn as I lug the bags of wood pellets in one by one into my garage.   Last year we ordered four tons, or basically two hundred bags weighing 40 pounds (18.1 Kg) a piece.  Moved from outside the drive to the inside of the garage and restacked, over and over again.  It needs done.  We used three and a half of those tons.   This year I only order...