Skip to main content

I am an Odd Fellow - the future of mutual aid

When I first moved to the country I wanted to get involved in something.  I wanted to become part of the community.  I wanted to belong to, and add to, something greater than myself.   

In small town America that usually means joining a Church or your local volunteer fire department but since I'm an agnostic bordering on atheism, the local Church was out.   I'm also old and out of shape so the fire department was out.   

So that left the Odd Fellows who have a local chapter close to my home.


While I may not always agree with who my local chapter supports as an organization and what they do butI know that I am making a small difference in the life of my community somehow.   A homeless person manages to snuggle under blankets provide by the Odd Fellows on a cold winter's day, a child gets a scholarship, someone gets a warm meal. 

Today we don't think much about mutual aid unless we are giving funds to some charity or faced with some sort of natural disaster.   Many of us don't think about mutual aid at all.  It's really hard to imagine a time when education was not a given, or when there were not large insurance companies to care for your family if you should die or become disabled - these fraternal organizations provided that care.  

In fact, a mere 100 years many of the old age homes, orphanages and insurance was provided by your local community organizations.  They may be called upon to do that again.

Well we never know what the future holds...the only way through something is together.   Cooperation is beneficial not only to the individuals that are touched by it, but for the community itself.   We saw this first hand during the recent pandemic as we helped each other in so many little ways.

I am a realist.  Keeping on the path we are on as a society will only lead to environmental and economic devastation. 

I am not however a "Doom and Gloomer."  I make my living by analyzing trends, by being able to take several pieces of the puzzle and fit them all together to determine the overall picture.   It's not a bright future.

However out of "disruptions" can come great positive change.  The "Black Death" caused millions of deaths some 700 to 800 years ago but also lead to the other throw of the feudal system, the Protestant Reformation and better rights for woman.   Even the Covid-19 pandemic changed things as wages; which had been stagnant for years, increased and millions of employees found that they were able to work from home with the same - or better productivity - as they had in the office.

In Dystopian fiction we always see the world as either a wasteland ruled by warlords or some garish neon lit dying city choked by unchecked capitalism.   Even though it does create some cool visuals, it's not a world anyone would wish for.


However in the Utopian vision of the future, the world is run as a democracy with mutual aid societies of various sorts serving the role of government organizations in a variety of ways.

There is a saying that "Everything old is new again."  Welcome to the Odd Fellow's my friends.     

Many would argue that what I am advocating for is more of a charity organization than a "true" Mutual Aid system.  It's been stated that Mutual Aid societies are not the same as a charity.  That a charity tends to be a one way relationship between the giver and the person receiving that aid.   Or that they may have requirements for that person receiving that aid.   They would be right.  

Groups like the Odd Fellows however evolved into charities; originally designed to meet the collective needs of the community.  In the Odd Fellows case they are command to "visit the sick, bury the dead, educate the orphan and relieve the distressed."   They were one of the first fraternal organizations to allow woman and African Americans into their rank.

It would not take much for them to return and serve their original purpose and ensure that all people - regardless of class, sex, orientation or color.   Odd Fellows have always been "part of the community and of the people."

Anarchists have great beards

Recently I was introduced to anarchist thought, while I'll be the first to admit that I've a lot more reading to do, I do find it interesting and something that works well in small communities and organizations. 

While I may not agree fully with the philosophy, there is enough "meat on the bones" for me to continue my studies.  Anarchists talk consistently about mutual aid societies and helping the community, and throughout history have put those plans into action successfully.   

Again you may be asking what does this have to do with a society like the Odd Fellows, to which I reply....everything.

In today's world where we are divided into ever smaller tribes, marginalized, commercialized.  Where our very data is sold to feed the algorithm which determines our movies, our music and our news it's nice to step back and remember the humanity.

That's one of the reasons I joined the Odd Fellows because it is non sectarian and non political and pushes humanity forward.  You can feel free to join the Moose, the Masons, or even start your own "secret society."  The point is that the more you learn about the needs of your community, the more you are able to help it.

Because frankly the world is going to need community organizations and mutual help societies more than ever in the future.  Because you too can make a small difference in the life of your community as well as the life on the indivdual, and we will get to the point where a combination of bad government, global warming, another disease or consumerism will tip the scales and a major disruption will occur.

It's about time we imagined the positive.   It's about time we acted upon it.  It's about time to put ideas into action.

So this is a plea for the young people to get involved with us "old guys" and learn about how your local fraternal organization is making a change in the world...and teach us some new tricks along the way.

Comments

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...