Skip to main content

So what's next? Feral cat shelters for winter (A Saturday project)

So what comes next?  

Most of our house improvement projects are done, but the last blog post I wrote got me thinking about something because winter is closing in on us, although this time two years ago we already had a several inches of snow on the ground.  Today, as I write this we are expecting a balmy 46 F (8 C) although it's rainy and windy so it feels a bit colder.  

Sadly winter is on it's way, so my first order of business on a lazy Saturday is creating a bit of a shelter for all the outdoor cats which have adopted us.

We have two indoor cats and two indoor/outdoor cats which are our own.  Our neighbor is a good guy but he owns four horses and a goat.  Because of this he keeps a few barn cats around, which serve to keep the rodent population in check and away from his animals feed

Our back porch is generally where they hang out  because they are protected on one side by a wall, which serves as a windbreak and they also know that Sue and I are totally powerless against their combined cuteness and will feed them at least once a day.  At any time we have at least five of the little freaks running around.

In the past we created a temporary shelter for them by using old blankets, cardboard and plastic milk crates.  Basically using the cardboard to create walls in the plastic crates, and then surrounding the outside of them with the blankets to provide some insulation and protection from the wind.   

They served the purpose, but were basically still an open air shelter.  

This year, I want to do something a little more enclosed and permanent.  I've also learned not to use the blankets like we did in the past but something that the cats can barrow into, such as straw or shredded newspaper.  As this borrowing will actually allow them to trap heat, much in the same way that we sleep under blankets.  

We have some old Styrofoam shipping boxes which we are going to use.  By cutting a small 6 inch by 6 inch (15 cm by 15 cm) door in the short side about 2 inches (5 cm) from the ground, to prevent possible flooding n the rain, and adding some shredded newspaper to it, we have created a safe and warm environment for a cat or two to sleep in.  We applied silicone glue to the top of the lid to maintain a waterproof and windproof environment.  

A website I visited also suggested taping heavy duty lawn or garbage bags to the box; you only increase the weatherproof and insulating nature of the box.  I decided to skip this part for now but would keep the idea in mind for colder weather.   

I also made something similar to the video below using an old plastic container that is no longer need. The only issue that I have using straw or newspaper is that it will have to be replaced.  Thus it made sense for me to run out and buy some Styrofoam insulation for the walls between the containers. 


  Somewhere along the line we purchased a gravity based water bowl (see picture below), to prevent the water from freezing I applied some spray foam to the bottom of the dish.  A small homemade insulting blanket wrapped around the outside should help keep the water from freezing.  Keeping your animals water flowing in the winter is always an ongoing battle.

Smaller shelters, designed for one or two cats max is better than having one or two cats in a larger shelter.  As the space would not be warm enough for them.  

Now I can only hope that they use them because I've no idea where these little furballs actually sleep or shelter.  I've seem them run into my neighbors small barn, and under his house.  However I figure that a little more shelter is never a bad thing. 



Comments

  1. We have a regular dog cage that sets up by door in breeze way. we have it insulated with styrofoam insulation, straw for bedding, no rugs and heat lamp hanging in cage, high, They love it. Size of cage depending on how many fur babies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...