Skip to main content

Prepping for the big winter storm

     


    The first great Winter Storm of 2022 is slowly making its way across America.   It's supposed to hit us here Sunday afternoon and bring anywhere between 8 to 12 inches of snow.  The worst part of this storm is the anticipation of it.  

    It's slowly moving across the United States and the local weather service has given us advanced warning going back several days.   As such, we have weatherproofed some of the windows - at least those that we know our young kitten is not likely to destroy.   We have tested the generator, and cleaned our wood burning stove.  

    We have the staples of milk, bread and toilet paper in stock.  I have a huge can of ice melting salt at my disposal, a brand new snow blower ready in the garage.  I have my boots, heavy jacket and scarf laid out;  I am ready for this storm.

    I have never liked winter.  Moving south was always part of my plans and I moved south shortly after college to escape the cold.  So I find it ironic that I've moved back up north to escape the heat caused by climate change.

    Generally speaking, winter in Pennsylvania is not that bad.  Historically we have had average lows of 19 F (- 7 C) to highs of 45 F (7.2 C), it's just that our part of Western Pennsylvania seems to be perpetually grey.  

    According to the locals, last winter was the worst winter we had in some time.  I was surprised by how mild it seemed to me.  Climate change however is affecting even my home state.  Our average temperature has gone up by a whole degree in the last 50 years with a steady increase in rainfall and flooding during the spring and summer months.

   We live 1 exit above the so called I-80 border, it is part of the US highway system that cuts the state in an east - west direction.  It's also the unofficial snow line that separates the "south" from the "north" of Pennsylvania and historically the worst of the winter weather is to the north of the I-80 separation. When I mean historically I do mean "Historically," as even the glaciers of the ice age only went as far south as nearby Moraine State Park.   


    The funny thing is that if we can make it through these next two weeks; thanks to the storm and its cold front we expect temperatures to remain below freezing, it starts to warm back up and we can expect a rather warm February.

    Thankfully I am continuing to work from home and don't have to worry about a commute.   Our house is well stocked with a variety of food and drinks.  If I have learned one thing about living in the country it's to be prepared for whatever may come.  

    Have those tarps ready, have that extra gas can available, have those blankets in the car.  When I lived in the city I could rely on public transportation, or on the roads being plowed.  Here, we have to be prepared.  We have to be a bit more self reliant because those services I once took for granted simply are not available.  I am frankly as ready as I can be as I interned to simply hunker down and ride it out.  

Be safe everyone.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

Maybe we need to rethink invasive species???

Hi. As the writer of the post and feel that I need to clarify something. I do not advocate the planting of invasive species. The point that I'm trying to make, and clearly didn't, is that perhaps we should be thinking about an invasive species in a different light. Apples, figs and other crops are clearly non native to America and Europe but are widely cultivated because they have use to humans as a food source, animal feed, etc. Kudzu is an edible plant and although it is clearly harmful can it be used someway by humans? It's a food source, it's been used as a cloth and is showing some use as a building material. All I'm trying to do is to create discussion on how we can use invasive plants in new ways.   It's mid April here in Western Pennsylvania and so far it's been warm and wet.  The buzz of lawnmowers fill the air as I gallivant through my back yard collecting dandelions to make some tea and bread with them.  I had always known that they w

Why didn't Erie, PA develop into a bigger city?

          Recently I had to travel up to Erie, PA for business.   It's about an hour north of me and is a rather small city, having just under 100 thousand people living in it.   It played an important role in the founding of America,  - where it was the headquarters for Oliver Perry's flagship Niagara during the battle of Like Erie in the war of 1812 .            It was also a important shipping center, being Pennsylvania's only access to the Great Lakes which was the easiest way to trade with parts of Canada at the time as well as move goods to the cities of Detroit and Chicago, which in the mid to early 1800's were just starting to develop.  It was also directly north from Pittsburgh which was a major industrial city at that time.     Yet Erie never really grew beyond it's humble beginnings and I wondered why.   Like any good sleuth I turned to the internet where I found mostly wrong answers.    Many people thought the port of Erie was to shallow to handle most

Don't leave the rural areas behind.

This blog was started because I had lived most of my life as an urban dweller; I wanted to record my adventures as I tried my hands at different things and I never pictured this blog would become what it did. Country life suits me in some ways.   I'm at a point in my life where I can appreciate looking up into the night sky and seeing thousands of stars, just like I did as a kid.   I just love how the moonlight bathes my beautiful sleeping wife in a creme colored light.   Country life is more peaceful and a lot more hard work than I would have ever expected.  While my neighbors and I may not agree politically or philosophically, my new lifestyle has given me insights on how they view the world. This brings me to my main point.   Here in rural America we simply don't have public transportation, nor do we have a lot of manufacturing or diversity or hospitals or even great education...and if we are going to move forward with a brighter greener future that we all want then we canno