Skip to main content

Prepping for the big winter storm

     


    The first great Winter Storm of 2022 is slowly making its way across America.   It's supposed to hit us here Sunday afternoon and bring anywhere between 8 to 12 inches of snow.  The worst part of this storm is the anticipation of it.  

    It's slowly moving across the United States and the local weather service has given us advanced warning going back several days.   As such, we have weatherproofed some of the windows - at least those that we know our young kitten is not likely to destroy.   We have tested the generator, and cleaned our wood burning stove.  

    We have the staples of milk, bread and toilet paper in stock.  I have a huge can of ice melting salt at my disposal, a brand new snow blower ready in the garage.  I have my boots, heavy jacket and scarf laid out;  I am ready for this storm.

    I have never liked winter.  Moving south was always part of my plans and I moved south shortly after college to escape the cold.  So I find it ironic that I've moved back up north to escape the heat caused by climate change.

    Generally speaking, winter in Pennsylvania is not that bad.  Historically we have had average lows of 19 F (- 7 C) to highs of 45 F (7.2 C), it's just that our part of Western Pennsylvania seems to be perpetually grey.  

    According to the locals, last winter was the worst winter we had in some time.  I was surprised by how mild it seemed to me.  Climate change however is affecting even my home state.  Our average temperature has gone up by a whole degree in the last 50 years with a steady increase in rainfall and flooding during the spring and summer months.

   We live 1 exit above the so called I-80 border, it is part of the US highway system that cuts the state in an east - west direction.  It's also the unofficial snow line that separates the "south" from the "north" of Pennsylvania and historically the worst of the winter weather is to the north of the I-80 separation. When I mean historically I do mean "Historically," as even the glaciers of the ice age only went as far south as nearby Moraine State Park.   


    The funny thing is that if we can make it through these next two weeks; thanks to the storm and its cold front we expect temperatures to remain below freezing, it starts to warm back up and we can expect a rather warm February.

    Thankfully I am continuing to work from home and don't have to worry about a commute.   Our house is well stocked with a variety of food and drinks.  If I have learned one thing about living in the country it's to be prepared for whatever may come.  

    Have those tarps ready, have that extra gas can available, have those blankets in the car.  When I lived in the city I could rely on public transportation, or on the roads being plowed.  Here, we have to be prepared.  We have to be a bit more self reliant because those services I once took for granted simply are not available.  I am frankly as ready as I can be as I interned to simply hunker down and ride it out.  

Be safe everyone.

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

A sense of time in place - traveling in Central PA

One of the first items that Sue and I bought as a couple all those years ago was a grandfather clock.  We used to snuggle under the blanket and listen to the chimes on the hour, the sound filling our house with a warmth and resonance.   That clock is nothing special, being simple in its design and technology.  It's accurate because of the beauty of physics and math...and is a lost art form in its own right. I thought a lot about time and place as we traveled this week.  I thought a lot about place.   Sue and I finally took a brief vacation recently.  Due to circumstances beyond our control, every plan we had made to get away earlier in the year came to naught.  My father became ill and ended up in the hospital which we decided to stay home "just in case."  He ended up in the hospital at least three times this past year, and I decided to spend what time I could with him. Family, after all, is what brought us back to Pennsylvania. We had p...