Skip to main content

I had potential.

 I lay in bed this morning as a summer thunderstorm rolled over and through me.  It was early, about 5:30 AM when the deep rumble woke me from a sound sleep.   The rain was hard, fast and beat down on my metal roof with a chaotic pattern.   

The room temperature dropped and both my black cats scrambled off the bed as a BOOM echoed in the distance.   Susan, me wife, rolled over and tucked herself in a little more, oblivious to the storm outside the windows.

There is something about a summer storm early in the morning.   The air is cleaner, cooler and the dirt and grime of the world seems to be washed away with only potential remaining.  

I'm been thinking a lot about potential.  

Several years ago my step daughter was putting together her Zombie apocalypse team because that was a thing.  I was honored when she included me.   "Oh," I asked her, "what is my job?"

"Bait." She said laughing.  "You have the biggest brain, but can't do anything practical!"

She was not wrong.  Having all the book smarts in the world doesn't help if you cannot apply it to the real world.  

It will be six years in this home starting in September.  We have made a lot of improvements to the inside.  We added kitchen counter and storage space by making some adjustments to the kitchen layout and laid a new floor. Replaced the old roof with a new one and added new more energy efficient windows, replaced the old wood burning stove with a highly efficient pellet stove.  We tiled downstairs.  

Nearly everything was done by experts in those fields with very little actual work by yours truly.   I've just found a way to pay for it.  

Susan and I saw the potential in this home to make it ours.  We are not done with it...but we have had to hit the pause button due to circumstances.   The potential to make this place our palace is still there...waiting.  

Now, due to circumstances beyond our control there is a possibility where we may end up selling our home.   Giving up on everything we have built.   I do not wish to dwell on that potential future.   Nor do I wish to go into details...but the circumstances we find ourselves in suck.  

On the outside of the home we started our "food forest" in a haphazard manner and never really recovered from that.  I've planted some apple trees, bushes, some perennial native flowers.   God knows there have been mistakes, errors. missteps.   It's one thing to read about how to do something but another to actually try and do it.   I've lost blueberry, strawberries and apple trees to deer.  I nearly killed my Pawpaw within the first week because dumb ass me didn't realize it was a shade loving tree.   It was moved and is making a nice recovery but it's still a tough plant to cultivate. 

What does this have to do with potential?  

I really don't know what I'm doing and am approaching this in a chaotic way.  It's one thing to state that I would like to have a "food forest" and it's quiet another to try and make that dream a reality.   


It's lack of planning that has created this chaos, now I have to figure out how to remove invasive plants and where to plant some additional plants and trees in a logical manner.   

For example, I picked up a Bur Oak tree at the native plant sale a few weeks back on a whim.   Now that I'm reading about it it occurs to me that it can get to be sixty feet tall or more.   So I would need to place a distance from the house, the idea being that if would provide shade in the future for who ever buys our home, or more likely replaces our home.  

What happens if and when I finally decide to get solar?  That tree would have to be planted in such a way that it doesn't reduce the efficiency of the panels.  

Are my attempts to provide some sort of waystation for my post apocalypse wandering soul make any sense at all?  Honestly, does it matter?  Isn't the effort alone worth it?

Part of me wants to say yes, perhaps who ever lives in this home after me will appreciate the shade tree that helps to cool the home.   Perhaps they will eat the apples, grapes, sunchokes and berries with  a smile.   

Or maybe it will just be the animals that end up eating those very same fruits.   Either future has an equal potential.   Either future is worth the effort.  

Our future is unwritten.  In the next few months, Sue and I will find our way through this darkness.  WE always have and always will.

It has the potential to work out, it has the potential to go bad....but it is what it is.  

Comments

What all the cool kids are reading.

In praise of the simple pumpkin. It has a lot of potential other than pies.

As I write this the temperature is climbing.  We have a window or two open, knowing that soon enough we will be shutting up the house for the next three months or so we can protect ourselves and our cats against the onslaught of winter.   Our wood stove burned overnight to take the chill out of the air and I found myself buying new boots and gloves and driving home with the windows down. This is the nature of autumn in Western Pennsylvania and as I sip on my pumpkin flavored coffee, I cannot help but praise the fruit of the season, and yes it is a fruit, the simple pumpkin. A few things are still growing in our garden, the last of the herbs and tomatoes...a stray pepper or two that needs to be picked.  Yet I find myself interested in growing pumpkins next year after realizing their potential and that they are high in nutritional value.   It's easy to forget in our modern world just how easy we have it as compared to our great grandparents and their grandparents....

Dopamine fix and my take on AI.

When I sat down at the computer recently to type all of this out,  I let out frustrated sigh.    I had plans to release a completely different blog post long before this date but over the last two weeks or so I've done everything I could do but actually work on the yard, or write, or just do anything that was constructive. When you are moving towards a dream or an idea or...well anything really, you can't break the chain.  Even if it's just 10 minutes a day working, that is constructive.    I have an addiction.  It's not to drugs or alcohol and in a way that would be a bit more excusable.   I have an addiction to dopamine .    Dopamine simply is a chemical in your brain that makes you feel good, and it in turn unleashes other "pleasure" chemicals in your brain.  In my case it a program called Second Life,  (SL) which honestly, I used to be on all the time in the early 2000's.  It's hard to explain but the term multius...

Rain and tears and those damned deer. Gardening can be painful.

“ None of us understand what we're doing, but we do beautiful things anyway.” ― Allen Ginsberg   The weatherman stated that we have not had any significant rainfall in over two weeks.  Nor did he see any relief in site. We are not in drought conditions yet, we are just unusually dry.  Interestingly enough, Pennsylvania should be getting warmer and wetter in the future if the climate models hold true.  If we narrow that down even more to my home town , the picture becomes even more interesting.   Solar Punk Pittsburgh For now though, I was worried about my garden.   It is not that big, I basically have a variety of containers around where I am maintaining lettuce, leeks, tomato's, peppers, strawberries, grapes, sunchokes (which I was really interested in growing) and a few other things.     Every garden needs to be watered and I played around with the idea of a r ain water collection systems before, we even had a simple one i...